Backup without root questions.

srvctec

May 26, 2012
I've done an extensive search on the web and on this forum without any results- can't believe I'm the only one who has these questions.

I received my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 a week ago and have to return it to Newegg for a refund because the screen has a defect (small gray/dark area in the backlight). I've already ordered a replacement that will be here on Monday. I know it's possible to just navigate to the sdcard while connected to my pc and just copy all the files. My question is, can I then use these files as a backup and copy them back to my new tablet when it arrives? I realize I'll have to re-install all the apps back on the new tablet, but will putting all these backed up files from /sdcard on my first tablet on the new tablet cause any problems? What I'm hoping is that by putting these files on the new tablet, I will have app settings and info saved. Or is all that info stored in the root of the device?

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
There is a trial of an app called My Backup that should do for apps and associated data but anything you downloaded or transferred manually like docs and music would need to be saved somewhere. BOX.NET is a possible option for some of it.

srvctec

May 26, 2012
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response. I think I'm going to just copy everything over to my pc from the internal sdcard and go from there. The reason being- I've got another issue and don't want that issue on the new tab.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response. I think I'm going to just copy everything over to my pc from the internal sdcard and go from there. The reason being- I've got another issue and don't want that issue on the new tab.

You may not need to go to the trouble. If you wiped your tablet your apps will have been remembered by Google and you'll be presented with them all after a data wipe. As for the other files like movies, music and documents, something like DropBox might help. My suggestion is that anything you put on your tablet should be copied rather than moved from your PC and other things stored in the cloud