Backup your Android applications - from tablet or phone, right to your computer

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Just found this on the News items at XDA Developers today. Tried it out and works as advertized. ;)

A quote from the news article :

We’re all no doubt aware of the numerous apps available on Google Play that assist in the backup and restore of apps and data. They are a vital tool in the Android ROM flasher’s toolkit. XDA Senior Member wizwin has come up with an alternative, but somewhat more unique method of backup up apps and data. AndSync is a Perl script used to backup your apps and data to your computer, and then restore them back when required.

Instead of performing the backups from your device as is usually the case, this method is all performed from your computer. All that’s required on your computer is Android SDK (for ADB shell) and Perl v5.10.1. Both Windows and Unix based systems are supported. If the Operating System supports Perl then this will work for you.

The script let’s you do the following:

Synchronize applications if you have multiple android devices.
Backup and Restore applications in batch.
Un-install applications in batch.
Backup and Restore application data on rooted and non-rooted (only for ICS and above) devices.
Use you PC or Laptop to perform full backups.
Data backup and restore is available only for rooted devices and non-rooted devices running ICS or above. Froyo isn’t currently supported.

- What is it?

AndSync (short for Android Synchronizer) Perl script, which you can run on your computer (PC or Laptop, Windows, Mac OSX, Linux all supported), and it allows you to backup or restore your Applications from the device.

Could save a lot of time for someone with multiple phones, or someone with lots of apps who also installs new ROMs, and has to wait ages for Play Store to sync a multitude of apps (this being the reason the script was created in the first place.)

- What you will need?

You need Perl installed. Freeware versions are available, for all kinds of operating systems, head to The Perl Programming Language - www.perl.org to start, find your version, download and install. I used the ActivePerl" from this page (32 and 64 bit versions available).

You will also need USB drivers for your device installed, as well as ADB (Android Device Bridge tool, from Google). A minimal ADB install can be easily done, without the full Android Development Kit - there's a nice and compact ADB package that comes with the QtADB tool (see next post below if needed).

Then get the script, the original Release thread is HERE at XD Devs. The files are hosted on the author's GIT hub here.

- What does it Look Like ?

I's a script, running on a command line shell or window, and you read the menus, type a key to select an option. Screenshot below :

screensbxb.png

- Will it break my [insert device name here] ??

Short answer, NO. Tested and it works fine on my TC970 with CM7 installed.

Note that it requires Gingerbread or newer versions of Android to work - LP1 factory default, Froyo users are not covered.

Another good reason to look at this tool - it CAN backup and restore even tablets that are NOT Rooted.

I would suggest it as a nice added Backup, besides Titatnium Backup if you are already Root user. For Stock users, this might give you an option to have some

Last edited:

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Just remembered that I have a thread here describing in detail a GUI (Graphical User Interface) tool that can perform this same job - might be easier for those who dislike command line and text menus.

See ADB the Easy Way - GUI Tool with ADB Power HERE.

Screenshot of its Application Management Panel (which includes Backup, Install and Un-install options):

qtappslist800p.png