Bad Experience with TF300T

Gewitty

Jul 3, 2012
This is a bit of a gripe and also a cautionary tale about my experience with Asus.

Around 26 months ago I bought a TF300T. This worked perfectly for eight months until I started to get problems with the power switch. It became ultra sensitive to movement and often rebooted the tablet merely as the result of vibration.

I contacted Asus and they arranged a swift repair. The unit seemed OK until a couple of weeks ago, when the same problem started to manifest itself again. Almost at the same time, the tablet stopped recharging from the keyboard battery and can now only be charged directly from the mains. There is also some sort of black sealant leaking out of the case, around the bottom of the screen.

I contacted Asus again and explained all of these problems, but their response was that the unit is now out of its original warranty and they only provide a three-month warranty for any repairs they carry out. As a result, I would have to pay to get the current problems sorted out.

Given the fact that their last repair didn't last very long, added to the fact that a second serious fault (the battery recharging) has developed, I am not really inclined to pay out for what will undoubtedly be a fairly costly repair. So it looks as if if my only option is to bin the thing and buy a new tablet.

I understand the fact that manufacturers cannot provide never -ending warranties for their products, but in a case like this, where both the manufacturing and repair quality are clearly sub-standard, I would expect Asus to sort the problem out in order to protect their reputation and retain a good customer.

As it stands, my next tablet will most definitely not be an Asus. Their motto may be 'Persistent Perfection', but in my experience, they fall well short of that aim.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
It's a hit and miss with ASUS and service. Many people found it to be swift and very competent but a few didn't have a good experience. That also is pretty common across manufacturers. With that said, the problems you had are not common at all with the TF300. I may, on a Transformer specific forum, have only seen that issue only once.

I personally have a TF700 and though it works flawlessly and always has, (as did my previous Transformer TF201) 26 months is a long time for most tablets. Well beyong middle age. ;)

Gewitty

Jul 3, 2012
Thanks for the thoughts leeshor. I've told the support people at Asus that I'm not too impressed with their response, or the quality of their product, and they have promised to pass this on to the relevant people (for that, read 'waste bin').

I'm now starting to look around for a replacement tablet. Not sure if I'll go for a 7" or another 10", but I probably won't bother with a Transformer-style keyboard. The new Logitech K480 Bluetooth keyboard (http://tinyurl.com/ouv8kwp) looks like being a good solution at a very attractive price and will work with both a tablet and my Nexus mobile.

The Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 both looked attractive, until I spotted that these are made for Google by Asus. I'm also not a fan of Apple products (a triumph of marketing over common sense), so I guess that leaves either a Samsung or the interesting LG G Pad 8.3.