Bad Kernel, Bricked tablet

mjinspain

Jul 12, 2011
Hi there, I posted this message below and sent it to Acer support and still waiting reply after 5 days, I am not a techno guy but need my tablet to operate for business, I have been advised that the update from Andriod may have had a bad Kernal & bricked my tablet, I am just quoting, this is way above my head. I am unable to access the battery to see if this resets and I am unable to contact Premium Support department from Spain, I have asked for an international number for help. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so how did you resolve it.

Desperate, Spain

John

Customer (John Taylor) - 07/07/2011 11.57 AM
Hi there

last night I had a message telling me I had a system update ready to load, I
accepted and it was with the Manager Logo. it took a few minutes and since
then I have been unable to open my A500 tablet. The on light is not White
any longer but RED, also it says it is charging but has not done so in the
past 24 hours. if shows a power level of 15%. I have resolved the previous
problem with my USB and appreciate the help, but now I cannot even use my
unit. I have tried to reset but it simply returns to the same point as it
did after the update. I have the opening page with the Clock and the circle
with the padlock showing but that is as far as it will go

John Taylor

spexwood

May 11, 2011
After reading your quoted message to Acer, I am actually a bit confused about your problem. I cant understand exactly what problem you have. This could be why your response from Acer has not come yet too.
It sounds almost like you are unable to turn your tablet on and it will not charge, but then you mention some stuff that sounds like you can still read the screen.

First thing to try is taking a paper clip and pressing the tiny reset button near the USB slot. If that doesnt magically fix the issue, then please clear up my confusion.

After updating, your tablet will NOT turn on at all? It will not charge and the power button is red (not orange or white).
Is this correct and if not, please correct me.

Second, your tablet is not hacked, rooted, etc, right? You didnt install any firmware off of the internet (known as "flashing") did you?
ai just want to be sure that you were doing everything 'right' and not something risky.

Lets see if we cant get this up and running again ;-)

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

mjinspain

Jul 12, 2011
After reading your quoted message to Acer, I am actually a bit confused about your problem. I cant understand exactly what problem you have. This could be why your response from Acer has not come yet too.
It sounds almost like you are unable to turn your tablet on and it will not charge, but then you mention some stuff that sounds like you can still read the screen.

First thing to try is taking a paper clip and pressing the tiny reset button near the USB slot. If that doesnt magically fix the issue, then please clear up my confusion.

After updating, your tablet will NOT turn on at all? It will not charge and the power button is red (not orange or white).
Is this correct and if not, please correct me.

Second, your tablet is not hacked, rooted, etc, right? You didnt install any firmware off of the internet (known as "flashing") did you?
ai just want to be sure that you were doing everything 'right' and not something risky.

Lets see if we cant get this up and running again ;-)

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Hi I am not a computer buff so I appologies if I have confued, My A500 had been running normally and I loved it for the purpose I bought it for. I had taken advise from Acer as to which programs I should load to enable me to run the USB facility, I loaded quickoffice as suggested and all went well.

I loaded the normal apps, google, msn,financial stuff, nothing else really, the purpose of the A500 was to utilise the USB in my kitchen, as a chef I could read reciepes without hard copies. The management system was Anroid.

One evening I had a pop up from Anroid saying that I had an update to the manegment sytem ready to load, I saw no reason not to, nothing suspicious. I clicked the "accept" it ran for a while and seemed very slow to complete, finally it did and rebboted it's self.

However it never opened through to the apps page, it would ony open as far as the home page, Green screen with the padlock showing, but this time when I pressed the padlock symbol, nothing happened and still does not. The battery power was low, so i plugged it in to recharge thinking this may be the fault, it showed a 15% level, I left it over night and the following morning it was still at 15%.

However the on button that normally is white when in running mode was red. This has now been some weeks I have contacted Acer for help, I live in Marbella Spain and the nearest Acer support team is in Barcelona, I have tried contacting them, by phone and email, but to date no response.

I have contaced Acer and asked for the tech number in the UK, but I am being told I cannot contact the UK office as I live in Spain, I am up against the wall and a hard place, I need my tablet. I just need to know what I should do to fix the problem as Acer are giving me the run around.

I appreciate you comments and I am hoping that the forum may be my deliverence, The forum was suggested to me by Acer strangly enough. So again thank you for you contact.

John, Spain

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Hold the power button down till it reboots or shuts totally off. Then restart it by holding it down again for 4 or 6 seconds.

It appears your tablet is frozen for some reason.

Then report back if this works.

kes601

May 23, 2011
I'm having the same issue (even showing the 15% power thing), even a factory restore won't work for me. Having to send in the tablet to Acer. Blah.

I have found if after it boots up and it vibrates if I press power twice it will then be responsive to the touchscreen, however when I unlock it it just says "Shutting Down" and never actually shuts down.

Last edited:

mjinspain

Jul 12, 2011
Hold the power button down till it reboots or shuts totally off. Then restart it by holding it down again for 4 or 6 seconds.

It appears your tablet is frozen for some reason.

Then report back if this works.

Thanks for the message, did try this and still in the same postion, thank you all the same for the help.

John

mjinspain

Jul 12, 2011
Hi there, This makes me feel some what relieved, I thought I was the only person on the plant with this problem, I hope they manage to reslove the issue qickly for you, I will have to battle with the problem of getting a tech department some where here in Spain or go to the UK with it. Thank you for your message and good luck.

John

mjinspain

Jul 12, 2011
I'm having the same issue (even showing the 15% power thing), even a factory restore won't work for me. Having to send in the tablet to Acer. Blah.

I have found if after it boots up and it vibrates if I press power twice it will then be responsive to the touchscreen, however when I unlock it it just says "Shutting Down" and never actually shuts down.

The details below have just been sent to me from Support. I have not tried it yet but worth a try, will have a go later.

Response (Rakesh) - 03/08/2011 12.02 PM
Dear John Taylor,

We apologise for the delay in responding to your E-mail.

We regret the inconvenience experienced. If you are unable to access "Apps", please follow the below mentioned instructions to fix the issue.

1. Shutdown the power (press the power button for long time to shutdown).
2. Press and hold volume up key (the key next to rotation lock) until you finish step 4.
3. Press power button for 3 seconds until you feel device vibrates then release power button.
4. Once you feel device vibrates, very quick to switch on/off "rotation key" many times (this activity has to be done very fast, otherwise it will not success). To ensure you success, switch on/off rotation key when Acer logo appears on screen.
5. Wait for a while (you will see Erase Userdata and Erase Cache on top-left corner on screen), device will reboot and start from OOBE screen.

For further assistance please do not hesitate to e-mail or contact us on 0871 760 1000 (UK), 0818 202 210 (Eire).

Regards
Rakesh Vankayala
Agent ID 1168
Acer UK Online Technical Support Team

mjinspain

Jul 12, 2011
This was sent to me from Support 10 min ago, I have not tried it eyt, but will later.
Response (Rakesh) - 03/08/2011 12.02 PM
Dear John Taylor,

We apologise for the delay in responding to your E-mail.

We regret the inconvenience experienced. If you are unable to access "Apps", please follow the below mentioned instructions to fix the issue.

1. Shutdown the power (press the power button for long time to shutdown).
2. Press and hold volume up key (the key next to rotation lock) until you finish step 4.
3. Press power button for 3 seconds until you feel device vibrates then release power button.
4. Once you feel device vibrates, very quick to switch on/off "rotation key" many times (this activity has to be done very fast, otherwise it will not success). To ensure you success, switch on/off rotation key when Acer logo appears on screen.
5. Wait for a while (you will see Erase Userdata and Erase Cache on top-left corner on screen), device will reboot and start from OOBE screen.

For further assistance please do not hesitate to e-mail or contact us on 0871 760 1000 (UK), 0818 202 210 (Eire).

Regards
Rakesh Vankayala
Agent ID 1168

mjinspain

Jul 12, 2011

This was the suggestion for Tech Support for this problem, however just had a relpy saying that "Quote" The posible solution that may work for you Kes601 is below this reply from tech.

John

Response (Rakesh) - 05/08/2011 04.51 PM
Dear John Taylor,

We regret the inconvenience experienced. From your description of this fault your machine may need to be brought into our repair centre for further evaluation and possible repair. If you can bear the to and fro shipping charges we will diagnose the issue. If you are willing to send it for repair please let us know, we will make necessary arrangements.

Regards
Rakesh Vankayala
Agent ID 1168

Regards
Rakesh Vankayala
Agent ID 1168

Customer (John Taylor) - 05/08/2011 04.07 PM
Dear Rakesh

Thanks you for this suggestion, I have tried the options and have found the
following.

1. Pressing the on/off button whilst holding down the volume, then switching
the screen lock on & off fast has given me 2 options. the first shows me in
the top left corner of screen "Erasing User data..." & Erasing Cache..."
this has not followed by a reboot as suggested, screen just stays locked.

2. Pressing the on/off button whilst holding down the volume, then switching
the screen lock on & off fast has given the following date in the top left
hand corner of screen
"Erasing data before SD Update"
"SD-Update-CMD Recovery"
"Update-package=SDcard.update zip"
"Rebooting Recovery Kernal Image"

The Image appears on the screen, goes through a mechanical animation, then
stops and shows the image with a triangle in the centre, with a "exclamation
mark as that attached--

1 hour has passed and not rebooted to normal screen, await you advise

John Taylor.

mjinspain

Jul 12, 2011
This is the last note from tech support below. Well it looks like I will be posting off to tech some where in Europe for repair. I will let you know how and when it is resolved and what the fault was, I hope.

John

Response (Rakesh) - 05/08/2011 04.51 PM
Dear John Taylor,

We regret the inconvenience experienced. From your description of this fault your machine may need to be brought into our repair centre for further evaluation and possible repair. If you can bear the to and fro shipping charges we will diagnose the issue. If you are willing to send it for repair please let us know, we will make necessary arrangements.

Regards
Rakesh Vankayala
Agent ID 1168

mjinspain

Jul 12, 2011
Hi there

I have just been told buy the UK tech support that as my A500 was bought in the US i.e Texas that it's warranty is only acceptable in the US, that I have to ship it back from Spain to the USA for repair, they are unable to give the contact detail of ACER in the US or Texas for some unknown reason. I believe you have had to send your unit for repair for the same problem I have. Please could you forward me the details of the repair department you sent your unit to.

Regards

frustrated from Spain..
John.