Barnes and Nobles. May 24 - announcement launch new ereader device

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I think the author of the techie buzz article is just working on speculation that it will have Honeycomb. I don't believe they had made an announcement yet.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The e-reader makes sense considering Amazon rolled out the ad subsidized kindle and the original nook is being killed off. Something to compte as an e-reader is needed. I am sure it will build on the original nook and nook color experiences in that case.

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
Amazon has a new tablet coming out too.

I wouldnt' be surprised to see

* B & N come out with Android based e-ink full touch screen N.C. - if that's possible with e-ink technology.

* Amazon - come out with some other O/S that's not open source - but full touchscreen e-ink. Maybe pair up with Nokia for Me-go / or other OS. Their Kindle is rules the full e-ink e-reader - but with all the color android tablets coming out with touch screen nav - the querty keys are a bit cumbersome. They could lower the price of the old Kindle < think Calculator prices dropping like a brick >. This will still keep Amazon loyalists in content - and modernize the user experience at a higher price point.

I don't think Amazon will go Android - b/c they'd give up content control - and their business model has a focus of creating a streams of income from content - and books are a big part of that.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
E-ink doesn't work with 'full touchscreen' its pixel depth and resolution limit it with touch sensitivity. Which is why the Nook has the e-ink display and the small touch lcd on the bottom.

Those two tech's (e-ink and touchscreen) simply aren't going to meet.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
They are e-ink Pearl (which is their patented tech)...regular e-ink tech is what everyone else is using.

Edit: I stand corrected...Pearl is used by more than Sony...It's color depth that is missing from e-ink...the best they can do is 4096 colors (compared to 16 million with the lcd)

E Ink Triton
On November 9, 2010, E Ink announced a third generation of E-ink displays, a color display that is easy to read in high light. The E Ink Triton will display 16 shades of gray, and 4096 colors. E Ink Triton is being used in commercially available products such as the Hanvon color eReader.

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
My first thought was to return my week old NC to B&N and buy a new one when they arrive. After a "cooling off" period, I realized I love the one I have (Epiphany?). It suits my needs perfectly and all I need is access to the "Market" for a few more apps. If the new one is more powerful etc., it will be at a higher price. If I wanted that, I could have bought something from another manufacturer. If it's competition for the low end market, I've got enough junk around the house already. So, I'm keeping the one I have.

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Given a higher likelihood (ok, that is just my premise for the following...) of an eInk update, and the expectation of something new and better from Amazon later this year, how about a color eInk model (and not Android to keep better control and not further muddy the suit/countersuit with M$ re the Android/NC's "infringements" of M$ patents)? Also, I find it difficult to believe they would go to the effort of another full-blown Android port to their interface of Honeycomb (or any other version) for another Android device after all the waiting for them to just now be getting the FroYo update out for the current NC.

Now catch breath, and read that slowly ...

;-)

Last edited:

nomadjim

Oct 28, 2010
Well I was just out at Books-A-Million tonight and was hoping to take a look at the updated Nook color. The demo on the floor had a dead battery, so I asked one of the store clerks if I could see the Nook color and he was going to get another device to swap the dead one out. As he was going to get it I told him I wanted to check out the new updated version, I was told that they did have the update yet and won't get the update till this week. Which I then told I was going to wait to see what the BIG Announcement on May 24th was going to be before getting the Nook Color and was just wanting to check out the update. He told me that they were told it was going to be a new Nook color with 4G added and he thought it would have Gingerbread on it, he wasn't to sure exactly on the Android OS, I wanted to pass on what he told me. The guy was a big help he talked with me about rooting the Nook color and how easy it was to do, he told it voids the warranty but there are ways around it. I think I'm going to just wait tell after May 24th before committing to the Nook color at this point.

patmw123

Jan 30, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the new device comes with some sort of locked bootloader. Especially with the rapid community development behind the nook color. Just pure speculation of course. We shall wait and see.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
If it is running an Android OS, there will be ways around it...I hope it is a new NC with a kickass fully baked Gingerbread OS...then that means that quickly, we will have that fully baked OS on our NC's!!!

patmw123

Jan 30, 2011
If it is running an Android OS, there will be ways around it...I hope it is a new NC with a kickass fully baked Gingerbread OS...then that means that quickly, we will have that fully baked OS on our NC's!!!
That's what people said about the Motorola locked bootloaders. I have no idea whether barnes and noble devs are even as capable of doing so to the same extent as Motorola devs but the possibility of a bootloader preventing kernel changes is definitely realistic.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
That's what people said about the Motorola locked bootloaders. I have no idea whether barnes and noble devs are even as capable of doing so to the same extent as Motorola devs but the possibility of a bootloader preventing kernel changes is definitely realistic.

Then I hope they're prepared to see product sit on shelves.. The Nook Color only blew up because of how open and free it allowed the dev community to be. If you couldn't root the thing, it'd be nowhere near as popular. So go ahead, B&N, lock your product down. Then watch this community turn on you. After you see your sales figure fall off the bottom of the graph, you'll unlock the new "whatever"..