Battery Dumps at 40%

greenwyvern

Aug 16, 2010
Nook HD+ about two months old. After battery discharges to around 40% it suddenly drops to 1%. My battery monitor app tells me I have only charged this Nook 9 times since purchase. I have always waited until the battery is below 20% before recharging until this started happening. Now for some reason the last two times it has reached around 40% remaining it takes a nose dive to 1% suddenly.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to "reset" the battery memory? I thought I was doing the right thing by waiting until the battery reached 20% before recharging.

Thanks,

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
With lithium-ion batteries, as long as they aren't fully discharged it doesn't make any difference what level you charge them at, whether it be 10%, 20%, or even 90%. This is because these batteries do not suffer the "memory" effect that plagues NiCd batteries.

In other words, the batteries do not retain a "memory" of how long they last. Therefore the problem lies somewhere else. The good news is that this may be an easy fix if you download "Battery Calibration" from the Play Store and follow its instructions, which amount to "charge fully, hit this button, let battery drain to nothing". The bad news is that the battery could be defective, in which case you want to get a hold of Barnes & Noble and get the Nook exchanged.

But try the battery calibration first.

greenwyvern

Aug 16, 2010
With lithium-ion batteries, as long as they aren't fully discharged it doesn't make any difference what level you charge them at, whether it be 10%, 20%, or even 90%. This is because these batteries do not suffer the "memory" effect that plagues NiCd batteries.

In other words, the batteries do not retain a "memory" of how long they last. Therefore the problem lies somewhere else. The good news is that this may be an easy fix if you download "Battery Calibration" from the Play Store and follow its instructions, which amount to "charge fully, hit this button, let battery drain to nothing". The bad news is that the battery could be defective, in which case you want to get a hold of Barnes & Noble and get the Nook exchanged.

But try the battery calibration first.

Thanks, I will give this a try.