Battery life mid 7022

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
I have a cell standby of 76% and 100% of time without a signal. It is hunting a cell radio. Which this tablet by Coby 7022 does not have. It has zero phone capabilities. My battery does good to last 3 hours with moderate use. Turned the airplane mode on and then used quick settings to turn wifi back on. It did not help one iota. This model has no 3G capabilities either. I like the tablet but I am very disappointed that a manufacture would sell these with this kind of battery problem. If anyone finds a fix the post it here please. Oh, one final thought I can't turn the gps off either.

Honestly I didnt see a big jump n battery power

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

jjr1314

Jul 13, 2011
You need root explorer to change the names. To get to the files open the system folder, then apps folder. I changed them from .apk to .old. my battery life may have gotten a little better. I get about 8 hours in standby or about 5 hours of fairly steady use. I think all android systems have a long way to go on battery conservation. No matter how hard i try to kill apps and processes, they always start again and eat up battery. Now that Im rooted I have started to delete select system apps such as adiko books, which would always start up in the background.

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

DuhDroid

Jul 12, 2011
You need root explorer to change the names. To get to the files open the system folder, then apps folder. I changed them from .apk to .old. my battery life may have gotten a little better. I get about 8 hours in standby or about 5 hours of fairly steady use. I think all android systems have a long way to go on battery conservation. No matter how hard i try to kill apps and processes, they always start again and eat up battery. Now that Im rooted I have started to delete select system apps such as adiko books, which would always start up in the background.

Or, once again, one can uuse the app in Market "No Cell Radio" no rooting required. It will cost $1.99 though. This post is directed at those who aren't as technologically savvy as the rest.

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011

Since your rooted I suggest titanium backup to freeze apps. I froze appslib and adiko bookstore and others that tablet came with

rpcantrell

May 30, 2011
Got the phone.apk and telephony.apk from /system/app/ renamed to 'old' last night. After reboting and charging, cell time no longer shows up in battery status. I doubt if it has much effect on battery life, but it looksbetter. I. Used root explorer to rename them.

Bowtieman

Jul 16, 2011
Or, once again, one can uuse the app in Market "No Cell Radio" no rooting required. It will cost $1.99 though. This post is directed at those who aren't as technologically savvy as the rest.

I can do the same thing using an app called 'quick settings' and it is free. You can find it on market.

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
you can also do this by first putting the tablet on airplane mode then going to settings>about device>Battery use>Wi-Fi>wi-fi settings>turn on wifi. just another way to start wifi while in airplane mode

DuhDroid

Jul 12, 2011
you can also do this by first putting the tablet on airplane mode then going to settings>about device>Battery use>Wi-Fi>wi-fi settings>turn on wifi. just another way to start wifi while in airplane mode

Cool....this does appear to do the same thing as the No Cell Radio app. Have you verified that the cell radio usage on the battery declined? I will be interested to hear back from you to see if your setting changes actually affected battery usage. I have Quick Settings and that does not accomplish everything required to disable the cell radio. You can't disable GPS receiver which we unfortunately don't have anyway. All you can turn off under Quick Settings is Bluetooth, Mobile Data, and WiFi.

Thanks for the tip tripbiker !!!

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
Cool....this does appear to do the same thing as the No Cell Radio app. Have you verified that the cell radio usage on the battery declined? I will be interested to hear back from you to see if your setting changes actually affected battery usage. I have Quick Settings and that does not accomplish everything required to disable the cell radio. You can't disable GPS receiver which we unfortunately don't have anyway. All you can turn off under Quick Settings is Bluetooth, Mobile Data, and WiFi.

Thanks for the tip tripbiker !!!

It still shows cell standby but it dropped from 76% to 72% not a major difference. I noticed that even if i put this on airplane mode with wifi off cell standby still doesn't dissapear. The only way i think will make it fully dissapear is to root. I also doubt that no cell radio app makes the cell standby dissapear since the app doesn't have root access.

DuhDroid

Jul 12, 2011
It still shows cell standby but it dropped from 76% to 72% not a major difference. I noticed that even if i put this on airplane mode with wifi off cell standby still doesn't dissapear. The only way i think will make it fully dissapear is to root. I also doubt that no cell radio app makes the cell standby dissapear since the app doesn't have root access.

I actually emailed the developer of No Cell Radio app and while long winded, this is how he explained the battery usage screen:
"Just know that the battery usage screen shows an accumulation of anything that has used the battery SINCE you last started using the battery.
so, on that screen you were seeing, 76% of the battery usage was by the cell radio - if your battery was only 20% drained, then 76% of that 20% was used by the cell radio. So the total usage by the cell radio is 76% of 20% = 15.2% then, as an example, say you turned on NoCellRadio to invoke Airplane mode and WiFi - and then say you drained the battery down another 20% for a total of 40%."

"Since the cell radio is now off, that 76% number on the usage screen cannot increase, and will start decreasing over time
the cell radio is still responsible for some usage (since you last started using the battery) so will not change to 0% until you stop and recharge the battery - in this example, it should drop to 38% (15.2% of the total of 40%)"

"Once you recharge and then unplug - all those numbers start over at 0% because that usage screen shows usage since you last started using the battery"

SO...that is what he told me. I followed your steps trickbiker and am currently charging my 7022, and will see if what this developer says will show on my battery usage screen.

Again thanks for your info tickbiker!!

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
I actually emailed the developer of No Cell Radio app and while long winded, this is how he explained the battery usage screen:
"Just know that the battery usage screen shows an accumulation of anything that has used the battery SINCE you last started using the battery.
so, on that screen you were seeing, 76% of the battery usage was by the cell radio - if your battery was only 20% drained, then 76% of that 20% was used by the cell radio. So the total usage by the cell radio is 76% of 20% = 15.2% then, as an example, say you turned on NoCellRadio to invoke Airplane mode and WiFi - and then say you drained the battery down another 20% for a total of 40%."

"Since the cell radio is now off, that 76% number on the usage screen cannot increase, and will start decreasing over time
the cell radio is still responsible for some usage (since you last started using the battery) so will not change to 0% until you stop and recharge the battery - in this example, it should drop to 38% (15.2% of the total of 40%)"

"Once you recharge and then unplug - all those numbers start over at 0% because that usage screen shows usage since you last started using the battery"

SO...that is what he told me. I followed your steps trickbiker and am currently charging my 7022, and will see if what this developer says will show on my battery usage screen.

Again thanks for your info tickbiker!!

Thanks I went into cell standby and it says time on battery is 1 hr. So cell standby did stop. Rpcantrell said on a different thread that there is a widget that you can put on home screen called power control it will let you turn on wifi while in airplane mode it beats going into all those menu's to turn on wifi.

rpcantrell

May 30, 2011
The good news is I have no more cell standby on the battery report after renaming the phone apks. The bad news is I can't tell the difference in battery consumption. I got an app called Battery Dr. It shows that 2-3% of battery usage is 2g and 3g data usage. I don't think so. I think the stock battery usage app is more accurate.

The power widget memtioned above will also turn off autosync, which is what makes the tablet wake up every so often.

Last edited:

DuhDroid

Jul 12, 2011
I was also able to do this with quick settings and it took no more than 5 seconds to do.

Which one did you use? There are several "Quick Settings" on Market, one developed by Android Application Team and one developed by Sergej Shafarenka and one by APS Technology, all do about the same thing , however I see that the Android App Team has a phone setting.

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
The good news is I have no more cell standby on the battery report after renaming the phone apks. The bad news is I can't tell the difference in battery consumption. I got an app called Battery Dr. It shows that 2-3% of battery usage is 2g and 3g data usage. I don't think so. I think the stock battery usage app is more accurate.
I just Rooted my Tablet and renamed phone.apk and telephony.apk to .old using ES explorer with root permisions. Will test to see how many hours it lasts with cell standby disabled