Battery Not Charging

ro1224

Jul 16, 2012
I assume this post deals with the original Galaxy TAB 10.1, but I'm having a similar issue with the Galaxy TAB 2 10.1.

I've had my Galaxy TAB 2 for about two months now. Everything has worked flawlessly. Two days ago, I allowed a sizable (268MB) update to process. Since the tablet shipped with Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), this was at best an incremental update from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4. After the update, there were minor changes in the behavior of the OS (sound, imagery, etc). One of most noticeable issues was a huge drain on the battery from the "Android OS" listing in "Settings/Battery". I experienced a similar issue on my Galaxy Nexus after a similar update, but it eventually corrected itself. While the percentage of battery use has come down (from 55% to 16% at last check), NOW there is this RED "X" issue on the battery that I cannot seem to get around.

I've rebooted, adjusted power-saving settings, etc - all to no avail.

Like the original author of this thread, I seem unable to get the Galaxy TAB 2 to charge regardless of connection type or power source. And YES, I am using the appropriate OEM-supplied adapters/cables, but truth be told, I've never had an issue using other cables, including a USB extension cable. The battery ALWAYS charged. More commonly, I find that charging from one of my Mac's USB outlets is more challenging because of the lower output, but this has been common to the Nexus as well.

For now, I'm going to point my finger at the 4.0.4 update with the hopes that Samsung catches wind of this soon and comes up with a fix. The other solution for me will be to root the device and flash stock 4.0.3 or a custom ROM on to the device.

[UPDATED 07/16/2012 7:38AM] Just checked tablet, it seems to have trickle-charged overnight to 90%, but the RED "X" is still present even when plugged into a wall outlet in another room at my home. Also the battery reports a state of "DISCHARGING" with a value over 2 DAYS even while plugged in. Checked for update, none available.

Last edited:

ro1224

Jul 16, 2012
[UPDATED 07/16/2012 9:49AM] Apparently something HAS changed with the recent update, as leaving the tablet charging direct from a wall outlet with OEM connectors (e.g. no additional cables, cubes, bricks or power strips) made the RED "X" go away. Tablet also charged to 97%.

Gringo069

Jul 18, 2012
I have had my Galaxy Tab2 10.1 for about 6 weeks and today I started getting the red X on the battery indicator. The only way it is letting me charge the Tab, is to turn off the Tab completely and then plug it in. The Battery charging indicator appears, but as soon as the Tab powers up, it gets the Red X again. This happens, no matter how I am trying to charge it. Yesterday I could charge it with the USB extencion, the 3rd party AC charger and 3rd party car Chargers, but this afternoon, none of them work properly.

Gringo069

Jul 18, 2012
Update... Called Samsung and they couldn't tell me what was wrong. They are having me send it back to them.

lukekey

Sep 6, 2012
Hi all, i am having the same problem with my month old galaxy tab 2 10.1, was working fine until the update now has the red cross and can take days to charge.there i also a real drain on the battery which was excellent before hand,will keep coming back for updates as don't want to send it back for nothing.:(

lukekey

Sep 6, 2012
[UPDATED 07/16/2012 9:49AM] Apparently something HAS changed with the recent update, as leaving the tablet charging direct from a wall outlet with OEM connectors (e.g. no additional cables, cubes, bricks or power strips) made the RED "X" go away. Tablet also charged to 97%.

have done the same but alas no change!

rwelbourn

Sep 17, 2012
ro1224 said:
I assume this post deals with the original Galaxy TAB 10.1, but I'm having a similar issue with the Galaxy TAB 2 10.1.

I've had my Galaxy TAB 2 for about two months now. Everything has worked flawlessly. Two days ago, I allowed a sizable (268MB) update to process. Since the tablet shipped with Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), this was at best an incremental update from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4. After the update, there were minor changes in the behavior of the OS (sound, imagery, etc). One of most noticeable issues was a huge drain on the battery from the "Android OS" listing in "Settings/Battery". I experienced a similar issue on my Galaxy Nexus after a similar update, but it eventually corrected itself. While the percentage of battery use has come down (from 55% to 16% at last check), NOW there is this RED "X" issue on the battery that I cannot seem to get around.

Like the original author of this thread, I seem unable to get the Galaxy TAB 2 to charge regardless of connection type or power source. And YES, I am using the appropriate OEM-supplied adapters/cables, but truth be told, I've never had an issue using other cables, including a USB extension cable. The battery ALWAYS charged. More commonly, I find that charging from one of my Mac's USB outlets is more challenging because of the lower output, but this has been common to the Nexus as well.

For now, I'm going to point my finger at the 4.0.4 update with the hopes that Samsung catches wind of this soon and comes up with a fix. The other solution for me will be to root the device and flash stock 4.0.3 or a custom ROM on to the device.

[UPDATED 07/16/2012 7:38AM] Just checked tablet, it seems to have trickle-charged overnight to 90%, but the RED "X" is still present even when plugged into a wall outlet in another room at my home. Also the battery reports a state of "DISCHARGING" with a value over 2 DAYS even while plugged in. Checked for update, none available.

Hi, not sure if this will help you but: I bought one in the UK and it came with a travel adaptor that had a US plug connector. Because of this they included a UK usb charger - with this I had the same problem as you. When I had a closer look at the US adaptor I saw that it had a standard figure of eight mains connection that the US plug connector went into. I plugged a UK figure of eight cable and my tablet is now charging perfectly from the travel adaptor.

KathyS

Oct 19, 2012
Hi. I bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 only four days ago. I'm still learning how to use it.

Everything had been going well until I just tried charging it 30 minutes ago. There was a red X on the battery icon (lower right) When I clicked on Settings > Battery, it said it was Discharging (while I had it plugged in)

Yes, I am using the charging cable supplied in the original box. It is plugged into the wall. I'd been charging it the same way since I bought it; nothing has changed. It had worked fine until 30 minutes ago.

Again, I have not even had this tablet for one full week, so this is disappointing. I'd appreciate any helpful feedback on this.

Thanks!

ctorresgtz

Oct 20, 2012
Hi I get to this forum trying to get a solution to this same problem. Now that I have read your commets I had an idea test it and it works. Turn wireless off, unplug an plug the power cable but do it rigth (DEEP) and Red cross dissapear. Then you can tufn wireless on again. It works for me. I am thinking this defenitly a power management issue.

Cheers from Mexico
Carlos

thattabguy

Jan 2, 2013
Hi folks, please make sure you are using the right cable. Unfortunately Samsung has purposely provided this adapter because it charges at a higher rate (2 amps) than a typical USB style adapter (500mA). So a trickle charge is all you'll get.

I read somewhere else that a charge at 2 amps would take roughly 3.5 hours to charge to 100%. Whats more using the charger that comes with your tablet removes this red X that shows up on your battery icon. The tablet DOES trickle-charge plugged into a USB port however, but MUUUUCCCCHHH slower than the standard rate(something like 14 hours for a full charge?!?).

Also, not using your tablet WHILE it is charging helps to efficiently charge it. I do mine overnight, and mine last 9 or so hours without breaking a sweat.

Hope this helps...

ren8520

Aug 28, 2013

I found a way to get the tablet charging instead of discharging. a quick way is to connect the charger
quickly to the tablet. i works fine for me, its something u guys can try.

Julius1950

Jan 24, 2015
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 which had a flat battery and used a Powertech Plus 4 USB 240VAC 50/60Hz 5V 2.1A DC with the special Samsung Tablet charging circuit, and a compatible Samsung lead. The device charged to 100% initially. Notably, I was doing this in warm weather which might be a factor.

However, in the hope of extending my usage time on the tablet I left it plugged in for use in the afternoon/evening when the ambient temperature had dropped quite a bit. For some reason, the charging then stopped and I noted the tablet was discharging the battery instead.

It was as if the charging cable was connected to a PC (per Samsung User Manual). After this I could no longer get the battery to charge.

I tried putting the tablet and the charger through a cold soak in the fridge to see if that would fix it but no joy. Tried a different USB charger, still no joy. I think it is voltage sensitive. After leaving it overnight on this charger the battery charging indicator with the device turned off showed a gold battery level that continued to show no charge was being added to the current level. Before that it used to be blue. So it did not Work.

Tried reboot: you do this by holding down the power button at the same time as the up volume button until the android man pops up and you go into the operating system menu. The first option in the android menu is the reboot. You need to read the screen instructions to work out what the buttons will do for your menu selection highlighted in blue. When highlighted you press the power button and then the Tab will reboot.

In my case, after the reboot finished, I plugged in the charger and got the same problem. You lose about 1% of the battery capacity each time you try the button resets so, eventually, you are going to run out of reset options.

Next in line was, of course the USB cable. I popped that into the fridge and then tried it again between the Tab and the AC adapter. Suddenly, things worked again and the Tab was charging again. I wiggled the wire and the Tab kept charging. I was very coy about this, of course.

After a few minutes I lost the charging again, so I put the cable back in the fridge for a second try. Again, when it came out it was good again.

So I made the decision to throw out this cable and get a new one.

So what does this mean to the man on the street?

Well, I think if you are having charging issues with your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, try replacing the cable first instead of embarking on a PhD in cryogenics.... they are, after all, just a few dollars and at that price you can keep some spares in your glovebox.

Last edited: