Battery not charging

jadeddragon

Feb 17, 2013
I have a Coby Kyros MID9740 tablet. I got it second hand (I think I got screwed) and when I plug it in it stays at 1%. What can I do?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Your culprit here is one of the following:

• AC adapter
  • AC jack on the tablet
  • Charging circuit on the tablet
  • Tablet battery
You need to test the AC adapter first, by plugging it in and using a multimeter to determine the voltage coming out from the tip. If the voltage does not come close to the voltage labeled on the casing of the adapter, then the adapter is bad and needs to be replaced.

If the adapter is determined to be ok, you need to plug a USB cable into the tablet and connect it to your PC. The tablets do charge from the USB port, but at a far slower rate than with the AC Adapter. By doing this, you will determine whether the jack on the tablet is the problem. If the tablet charges, then the jack may need to be soldered back to the motherboard, as the solder points used for the jack are actually rather weak due to insufficient solder used in the wave soldering process.

If the tablet does not charge when plugged into USB, either the charging circuit or the battery are bad, and thus the entire tablet would need to be replaced.