Battery only charging half way

fourtanks

May 11, 2011
I had not used my g-tab in a few months and now if I charge it for 24 hours the battery indicator says the battery is only 1/2 way charged. I have always had to charge it overnight to get a full charge but now it only charges 1/2 way. Any suggestions?

Also I have never been able to run the g-tab by plugging it into the wall. Plugging it into the wall is only good for charging it. I have to disconnect from the charger to use it. Is this normal?

Rags

May 22, 2011
I have seen other posts in the past that essentially indicate that you shouldn't trust what the indicator is telling you. Personally, I have never had this issue but if you search through the posts here you will find several suggestions. Have you tried other ROMs to see if this issue is persistent as it may just be a glitch with the ROM you are running...

And, I use my GTablet all the time when it is plugged in directly or via the dock and it works just fine so having to disconnect it to use it seems very odd indeed!

Just out of curiosity, which ROM are you currently running? That may help narrow down the search for a solution.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
This is not just true of G-Tabs but other Tablets and devices as well. I would verify it is not battery monitoring calibration. Try this.
1. Pick a Movie or a Music folder and start playing in Loop. See how long before it auto-shuts down for Battery.
2. Is it longer, about the same or lots shorter than what you had when you bought the Tab
3. Charge it fully using the Factory Charger or factory recommended method.
4. Repeat Steps 1-3 again. This will generally get calibration and sometimes remove a false low Battery memory setting.
5. If the Battery is lots less, you have experienced a not uncommon problem with these type of batteries. Unfortunately, the situation can sometimes be remedied. Common causes is using a non-approved charging mechanism/method

To try fix Try this
1. Charge battery fully to what you would expect after 12-14 hours
2. Disconnect from Charging, Power up the unit and pull up settings and go to About Device and Battery
3. Watch it for a minute, Does it rise as you watch it, or start immediately to drop a bit. If no change, then it is a calibration issue still
4. If if starts to rise visibly, this is also a calibration issue, but can be fixed by steps 5-7. If it immediately starts to drop, then you have a bad battery.
5. Power down and Charge for an hour.
6. Repeat steps 2-3 See if the starting value is higher than when you did step 2 initially
7. If it increases, repeat steps 5-6 until you have the maximum value, if it does not change, then this is the max calibrated value.

Best of luck