Battery Recharge Schedule

dolneato

Feb 4, 2014
Hi! What schedule would you recommend me for recharging the battery? That is, to what percent to let it discharge before recharging. I think I saw 30% to be a good value.

Also, is there a tool/app that could turn off the device or signal in some way when it's fully recharged? That is to avoid any over-charging as it is not recommended for this device according to its manual.

Actually, it would be nice to have an app to signal also for the lower bound, say 30%, and when it's discharged down to that, tell the user to start charging.

Finally, a question about over-charging. The device will be given to a hospitalized person who has very limited movement. So she might end up not following the discharge/recharge procedures anyway, and probably just leave it plugged most of the time. Does anyone have experience how bad that would be for the battery? We are looking probably at some 6 months of that. If, say, the device stays mostly plugged in for about 6 months, how bad would that be for the battery in the end, would it not work anymore? Thanks.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The rechargeable battery used in smartphones and tablets is a Lithium-ion battery. Lithium-ion batteries have no "memory" effect so they can be charged whenever you feel like it, without having to resort to a schedule. Further, these types of batteries have a circuit built in that prevents the battery from being overcharged, since overcharging one of these batteries is not a good idea at all. Since there is such a circuit in the battery there's no need for an app to tell you when the battery is charged. The built-in battery indicator should be sufficient.

Keeping the battery constantly on charge will shorten the life of the battery, but realistically by the time the battery would need to be replaced, which would be in about two years, the entire unit would be obsolete anyway.

In short, don't worry too much about the battery. Give it to the person and let them enjoy themselves.