BBC iPlayer on ZT280-C91 - has anyone had success?

Tralf

Jan 25, 2012
I received my C91 with ICS pre-installed. However, that version of Android does not currently support Flash and there are several sites I wanted to use that are based on Flash, so I downgraded to Android 2.3.4, using the official software from the Zenithink site.

I read many of the threads here and followed criver's advice on dealing with the runaway android.process.media task that eats CPU. I also discovered a fix for the android.process.acore problem. (Basically for that one you need to look under "Accounts & sync" for a synchronisation that is stuck with the circular arrows permanently on. Then just turn off that sync and the task will stop clocking huge amounts of CPU).

Everything on the tablet now works well apart from BBC iPlayer. When I try that, the sound plays fluently but the pictures are stuttering to the point of being unwatchable.

I am able to play videos smoothly from other network sources, so I am confident that my wi-fi connection is not the cause of the problem. I can also play iPlayer content perfectly on other devices on my home network, so I know the problem is not between my wi-fi router and the iPlayer servers.

That only leaves the tablet itself as the cause of the problem.

I would be interested to hear from other UK C91 users. Has anyone managed to run iPlayer successfully and smoothly on the device? If so, did you have to do anything in particular to achieve that?

Dustysue

Jan 23, 2012
I have a C91 running 4.0, sadly I cannot get BBC iPlayer to work on it :( when I try it tells me that my tablet is not compatible, I downloaded Adobe Flash Player 11 as that is supposed to be for 4.0, but to no avail, not a happy bunny. Decided against trying to downgrade, wouldn't know where to start anyway as I am a total newbie to Android, plus it doesn't sounds as though it has helped you. I am in the UK.

J

jimbo7630

@Dustysue, is that the Adobe Flash 11.1 that you downloaded?

Jetsetter

Feb 18, 2012
Am having similar problems using the App or website with BBC IPlayer TV - Radio works ok though. Have tried Flash 10.2 and 11.1.

Tried accessing some other flash sites and cannot see these , but CNET Videos work ok (these use Flash?)

Any ideas gratefully received !

gero34

Feb 25, 2012
Hi, I am in UK and using Zenithink C71 with ICS 403. I am unable to view BBC iPlayer and, what's worse to my mind, cannot view Channel 4 catch-up to watch Time Team. Does life have any meaning?, I ask myself. Anyway, I tried installing Flash Player 11.1 and no change. I tried using different browsers and no change. Finally, I used software on my laptop to record streaming video and make MP4 files of Time Team programmes which I then watch on my tablet. The software is available online just do a Google for 'recording streaming video'. Not an on-demand, roaming, solution but it gets me a Time Team fix and I have the programmes archived for if/when Channel 4 ever decides to stop making them available online (think ahead is my motto). Is this legal? I don't know but I think it is morally okay to do this since I am not making the programmes available to others or exploiting them financially. If Time Team was available on DVD I would buy the whole collection and convert it to MP4 to watch on my tablet and phone but it is not (I have already bought the only two DVDs available to date and watched them to death). By making MP4s from the online broadcasts I am just making a work-around until Channel 4 fixes its (poor quality) support for Android tablets/phones. Once I can watch Channel 4 on demand and do not have to download and convert to MP4 I will do so -- it is a pain to spend so much time processing the files. I don't think I am doing anything other than people do when they record from the telly. Anyway, not a direct answer to your question but my solution is less risky than flashing tablets if you are an Android newbie (as I am ) and it means you can keep ICS for when the rest of the world catches up and provides services for it. It means you can watch BBC, ITN, Channel 4 and whatever and make recordings and use them as you want until the broadcasters fix their websites for us Android users. Hope this helps.

Best wishes, Gero

Ascari

Jan 22, 2012
bbc iplayer is not compatible with ICS 4.0 if you can hold your breath long enough maybe in the future it will happen

gediredi

Mar 12, 2012
Recieved my new Zenithink C 91 tablet last week and I could NOT get Iplayer or netflix to work - even youtube was unreliable. It came with Ice cream Sandwich installed. I tried several different installs of Flash, and even flashed it with a newer version of ICS from the Zenithink website. Nothing worked until I got the gingerbread version from their website and installed that. Installed latest flash player and all works ok now. Netflix, Iplayer and Youtube.

Jetsetter

Feb 18, 2012
Thanks Gero - checked with the supplier and they confirmed it does seem to be a problem with ICS so guess we will have to wait for a fix or revert.

(Missed my Time Team fix last Sunday !)

gmacp

Mar 20, 2012
Hi guys.

Just picked up one of these tablets this week with ICS preloaded. Don't have a solution for this Iplayer problem as yet but have come across a couple of issues which may give clues to those more technical than me! Installed Iplayer app which opened up niceley with access to all programmes but starting programme just results in continous spinning of loading circle in middle of page. Went to BBC Iplayer web page and same result. Also on BBC news/sport pages, none of the video clips would display let alone play. Went into advanced browser settings and changed browser type from Ipad to Android, same result. Changed back to Ipad and now I can get all web page based BBC video clips to play fine, but Iplayer still not working.

What's confusing me is that wife had a Cloud9 Neuropad2 7inch tablet also running ICS and Flash 11.1 and all video/iplayer worked fine. Unfortunately that tablet is on its way back to Amazon after it became bricked at weekend. When the replacement arrives I'll see if I can compare browser/video settings to see if there is anything which might get it working on C91.

Apart from Iplayer problem my only niggle with the C91 has been on start up after auto or being put in to standby. Whenever I have applied either screen swipe or password security on wake up it seems very unresponsive, almost to the point that it takes 5/6 goes to get swipe/keyboard to work. For now I've not set any security on it in case it won't let me back in!

badrastablaze

Mar 30, 2012
if no one has got a solution i have one that worked for me. signed up to the forum just to let everyone know.

i got my table. uninstalled flash player that came with tablet [i did this cause android market told me so as it wont let me update]. installed v11.

didnt install anything else. installed iplayer from market... didnt work as per usual. so i deleted it. got the first iplayer V1.0 from google somewhere. i think it was...

BBC iPlayer v1.0 for Android.apk - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download -

then put it on USB [or even SD card] installed it... and didnt work... so changed the setting in browser [in advanced section] to android browser mode.

back to iplayer, and all is well.

i was close to installing gingerbread, but then it would defeat my purpose of having an ICS tablet. doh!

good luck everyone!

Last edited:

mallorcasaint

Mar 8, 2012
if no one has got a solution i have one that worked for me. signed up to the forum just to let everyone know.

i got my table. uninstalled flash player that came with tablet [i did this cause android market told me so as it wont let me update]. installed v11.

didnt install anything else. installed iplayer from market... didnt work as per usual. so i deleted it. got the first iplayer V1.0 from google somewhere. i think it was...

BBC iPlayer v1.0 for Android.apk - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download -

then put it on USB [or even SD card] installed it... and didnt work... so changed the setting in browser [in advanced section] to android browser mode.

back to iplayer, and all is well.

i was close to installing gingerbread, but then it would defeat my purpose of having an ICS tablet. doh!

good luck everyone!

Didn't work for me I'm afraid.

kingchino86

Apr 2, 2012
I too am having the same issue. Bought a zenithink c91 this week from amazon. It came preloaded with iplayer and flash - neither seemed to work. The iplayer refused to load videos and if I tried using the browser to view iplayer or 4 on demand videos - nothing.
I am new to androids (familiar with ipads and iphones) and was wondering if anyone knew of a way to work around this - happy to downgrade but I have read alot about needing specific firmware which I do not know where to find,
Also, happy to root the device if I need to install other addins
Id there a browser with preloaded addins that support other embeded videos e.g. If you want to watch some tv episodes / films online they may use other video / media players e,g, megavideo, novidia etc

Thanks

marty1yan

Apr 6, 2012
Hi. I had the same problem. I down graded to gingerbread. The tablet is now compatible with iplayer and netflix the wifi seems more stable too. Everything seems more responsive and much more reliable.