Been given a mid 8650... help!?

tovchristar

Jul 22, 2012
Hi, ive been given a android mid 8650, but we need a new charger. When its working we will use it for videos for my son. What i need to know is does it have a built in hard drive or sd card storage? And do i need to get an app to watch the videos or does it have a program. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
hi, my 1st tablet was a wm8650 & as a starter intro into tabs, it got me hooked enough for me to want to move on quickly. i learned a lot from this forum via more android tablets/wm8650 based pages if you have not found them yet.
firstly they generally have either 2gb or 4gb built in memory & somewhere on the side shoulfd be a small slot for a micro sd card. this should take upto 32gb but i used an 8gb card & found it was plenty big enough for the job(i would recommend no bigger than 16gb to be on the safe side). they are quite limited by modern standards but can still cope with video, music playing, e book reading & web browsing. as for games they are pretty poor & if you have angry birds on this tab i suggest you turn off background using game settings if you want to play it!
i learned how to root using this tablet & the uberoid firmware rom is much better than the stock chinese software. you will find tons of info on how to do this if you look through the aforementioned pages. don't expect too much from this tablet but for the price it is hard to beat. the new tablets are far superior & for around £70 you can get a very capable tablet indeed. it should have a media app on-board but there are plenty of free apps. if you can't get onto google market (google play) there are a few others where you will find similar stuff, i used amazon appstore until the tablet was rooted & i could use google market. there are a lot of helpful apps to help you with battery life, web browsing, file managing etc & i will list a few on the end of this post for you to look at. but i recommend you do a fair amount of research on the forum to see what info other people can give you. i found that the more i knew, the more i wanted for my tab & moved on to a new tab after about 5months. the good thing is there are plenty of people out there who will buy your tab on ebay once you have finished with it, i actually sold my tab for more than i paid for it due to the fact that it was rooted, running better software & had good apps loaded already for the new user,
the worst feature by far on these tabs is the resistive screen. this becomes a pain the more you use it & was the main factor in my choosing a capacitive screen tab to replace it. also. wi-fi is very poor & i couldn't move more than about 5m from my router before losing signal.
overall, i enjoyed learning on this tab. it taught me a lot about what android is capable of & i was amazed that i could do all these things so cheaply as i originally only wanted a book reader alternative with a bit more versatility. as long as you are patient & respect that this is now a very low-tech tab, you can enjoy using it as i did but i think that you will soon find its limitations a drag, as i did, & step up to a better quality, higher spec tablet. i wish you luck & hope you find your tab as rewarding as i did.

useful apps for wm8650
android assistant,
opera mini browser/dolphin browser
youtube
file expert
apps2sd (this enables you to move certain apps from tab to external sd card)
meridion media player(there are many similar if this is incompatible)
applanet/appstore/appbrain.

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
ps you can get chargers cheaply on ebay, just make sure you get the right sized connection as they differ on many models from 1.5mm up to 3.5mm. check with an electrical shop in doubt.