Best Andoid phone that uses SIM card.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
So I'm looking to replace my unlocked iPhone with an Android phone. Anyone using one that uses SIM cards? Can it easily be rooted for use with any network?

(I travel the world and have a different carrier pretty much every year. Different country... different carrier)

Thanks,
-Fuga

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Your selection is pretty broad. AT&T or T-Mobile?

The Motorola Atrix is pretty nice, but it's locked down. They you have the Galaxy S phones, which are all pretty much the same phone with a slightly different case.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Your selection is pretty broad. AT&T or T-Mobile?

The Motorola Atrix is pretty nice, but it's locked down. They you have the Galaxy S phones, which are all pretty much the same phone with a slightly different case.

It does not matter. After rooting does that unlock the phone to any carrier? Or is it ready for any carrier out of the box?

FYI I love my Droid 2 but it does not use SIM cards :(

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Rooting is not the same thing as a carrier unlock. Rooting gives you administrator rights no your operating system. Unlocking refers to a lock on the phone/data capabilities of a device. This is like locking down your wifi card to only work with a particular router. Motorola locked down their bootloader, which limits to type of modifications you can do to the operating system even after you obtain root/superuser rights to the device. Bootloader lock is like locking the BIOS of a computer.

If you do not mind relying on Motorola for updates, the Atrix seems like the best Android has to offer at the time. If you believe in community updates, the Nexus S is the one to get.

Big_Jim

Mar 16, 2011
The Droid has an unlocked bootloader but of course its Verizon CDMA so no SIM card.
I'd say purchase an unlocked Tmobile compatible phone from Amazon. And dont be picky about the exact brand & model cuz there isnt much to choose from.
Amazon.com: T-Mobile Garminfone Android Phone (T-Mobile): Cell Phones & Accessories
Heres one. Good phone but not cheap. The reason I specified Tmobile is their 3g GSM is different from AT&T 3g GSM. But their 1X networks are the same. If you have to go unlocked you should probably get one that works on Tmobiles 3g. Tmobile used to have UMA service on all their wifi phones. UMA lets you make phone calls over wifi without other things like VOIP. It was mostly good for saving minutes but also nice when in a place that didnt support your cellular connection but still had wifi access. Would be very nice for touring Europe.
HOWEVER, I have not heard diddly squat about UMA recently, and when they did have it you had to get one of their branded phones trough them, not a 3rd party phone with just their SIM.

Samoa Joe

May 16, 2011
Go for the Nexus S, that's gonna be your best bet. It can even come unlocked from the factory ($529.99) at Best Buy. That phone is a monster, running side-to-side with the Thunderbolt.

-Joe.