Best Buy Sale on Galaxy

newnick

Jan 23, 2011
I got mine at BB last week for $499 with Sprint. I'm unsure of what a two year contract entails as far as cost.

The mobile rep at the store said you do not have to activate it for 3G. Everytime the unit powers up, he said to just cancel it and use WIFI. This is what I have been doing ever since so I don't think I'm incurring any data plan charge as I haven't signed up for one with Sprint.

If it is $30 a month for a contract, buying it for $499 is cheaper than additional paying that additional amount monthly and getting it at a Sprint store for $299. Unless of course I'm missing something and me bypassing activation will come back to bite me.
You are right about the calculation. And you did the right thing.

But for those people who are looking for data plan on their Galaxy Tab, Sprint's $299 offer is the best deal of all ( even better than the HSN deal given time/transition considered imo ).

For those who dont need 3G and plan to buy one this week may want to get the Verizon version with month-to-month plan activated. That will bring down the price to $399+tax for the tab itself. The plan is $20/ month for 1GB of data and you can cancel it after the first month. So you will basically get your tablet for around $420 before tax.

Another reminder: Check if your company has any corporate deal with the service carriers. You may be able to knock off another 20%-40% off the data plan. My company has a deal with Sprint. I might be able to get 30% discount on the data service plan which is not a bad thing at all although I pretty sure I am getting the Verizon Tab as I dont need additional data plan.

pikapp168

Jan 20, 2011
just bought mine today! returned my Huawei S7 and bought the verizon galaxy $399 month to month. the guy even gave me the cheat code to get past activation. he said technically we are supposed to activate it but if a customer insists on taking it home and activating it then we can't do anything. the code to by pass activation is done with the volume buttons :up 1 time, down 2 times, up 3 times, down 4 times. Do this quickly and it works!

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Means you pay for the first month of 3G (wireless data), and can cancel anytime after that. No 2-year contract required!

-Matt

pikapp168

Jan 20, 2011
no contract. you are supposed to activate it and use the data when you need it, but you don't have to. just do the above cheat and it bypasses the activation.

pikapp168

Jan 20, 2011
Do you think that I should get it or wait until new tablets come out?

It depends on what you need it for? I only need mine for wifi, surfing the web, maybe a movie every now and again, email, and video chat. I am shocked at how awesome this thing is as compared to the huawei s7.

androidph

Jan 27, 2011
he said technically we are supposed to activate it but if a customer insists on taking it home and activating it then we can't do anything. the code to by pass activation is done with the volume buttons :up 1 time, down 2 times, up 3 times, down 4 times. Do this quickly and it works!

by pass activation of what? bypass the 3G service?

sorry if I have missed something here.

pikapp168

Jan 20, 2011
if you don't want to activate it and bypass the activation, then you can hit this pattern on the volume keys and it will bypass the activation process. hit up 1 time down 2 times up 3 times down 4 times. This will by pass the activation process when you have powered the device on.

I didn't want to activate it. All I wanted to use this for was for Wifi.

robertc88

Jan 26, 2011
Well maybe that cheat will stop the Tab from trying to activate every time I turn it on but I just cancel it every time and off on my merry way.

Wrong place probably to ask (still learning) but I went to the kindle app and logged in with my amazon ID and password so it registered my tab yesterday. It brings me to a screen with a person reading under a tree and advises me to go to a menu to get the books I've downloaded from the kindle store this morning on amazon or to get to the kindle store from the tab and request books there. Problem is I don't see a way to get to any menu to do either.

Help! :)

Last edited:

Androyd

Jan 27, 2011
How is it $399? When I visit Best Buy online, it is $499 and specifies that it is only for in-store purchase only. (see screenshot below . . .)

$deleteme.jpg

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
How is it $399? When I visit Best Buy online, it is $499 and specifies that it is only for in-store purchase only. (see screenshot below . . .)

View attachment 990

It's advertised for $399 month-to-month activation in Best Buys's print circular for the week. (You may want to re-read the first three posts of the thread, it goes through the whole sordid story why you are only seeing $499 online...)

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
^ I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the "ad vs. website" issue complicated!

Oh vferrari, I just saw your comment about the "sordid story." Sorry for the drama, I'm easily confused. :eek: But I do suggest giving the local BestBuy a call to confirm...I bet you'll get a different answer each time you call. ;)

-Matt