Best Large Tablet for solely GPS

Discussion in 'Android Tablet Q&A' started by Bigwidge, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Bigwidge

Bigwidge Member

I am looking for a LARGE tablet, preferably 10", that would be used solely for GPS purposes. No need for 3G or anything, although if it has capability it would be nice. Mainly I want a tablet that would work well for navigation is the USA, and needs to have Google Maps (Want to pre-cache maps and have then stored when out of Wifi)

2. rjm2140

rjm2140 Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer A500
    My only experience is with the Acer A500 and it works great as a GPS & compass.

Google Maps & Google Earth run smooth as can be on it; adding EarthNC Lite gives the added benefit of topo maps & marine charts!

I'm very pleased with A500 & highly recommend it.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

3. Zhopa

Zhopa Member

Tablet / Device:
    A500
    Hi rjm!

I have Iconia too and hope you can give me advice: whatbis the proper way for google maps to keep maps on device memory? i.e. will I have all maps when there is no internet connectin?
    thanks!

4. rjm2140

rjm2140 Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer A500

Be sure you have the latest copy of Google maps running. Tap on the icon in the upper right hand corner & then tap on 'Labs'. Enable 'Pre-cache map area'. Now, when you're in an area of interest on a map, long tap the map. A window will appear; tap on the balloon with the right arrow head & a menu will appear. Tap 'Pre-cache map area'. You've now saved a 10 mile area of the map to your A500. I don't think that there is a way to save a larger portion, but let me know if you find one.

If you don't find 'Labs' in your menu, then it may be a plugin that I installed & you'll need to download/install it (sorry, I can't remember for sure).

Hope this helps you.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Zhopa

Zhopa Member

Tablet / Device:
    A500
    Thanks rjm!

One more question, if you don't mind :))) eh

Is there way to DELETE cached maps, selectively? I.e. I have couple maps of one area and couple maps of completely different area (or country). After the trip I want to delete only foreign maps. Is is possible? I can't find such feature...

Thanks!

6. rjm2140

rjm2140 Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer A500

Yes, you can selectively delete each cached map. Tap on the icon in the upper right hand corner & then tap on 'Cache Settings'. Then tap on 'Pre-cached Map Areas'. A list of all of your map areas will appear. Just tap the red X to delete those that are no longer required. Have a nice trip.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Zhopa

Zhopa Member

Tablet / Device:
    A500
    Thanks again!!!