Best Media Player

spica

Jan 10, 2011
Can anyone suggest a good media player to play movies? I'm currently using DoubleTwist but it doesn't seem to continue where it's left off.

Thanks,
Sean

thel8elvis

Dec 29, 2010
According to my understanding ... only the built in player uses hardware acceleration. If that's not the case, I look forward to being corrected. So as far as processing and battery life, that kinda makes it the best player, IMHO.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
How can I install the Rock player on my NC (it is already rooted). Thanks!
It's in the market, but beware the free version has some persistent stuff (logos?) on screen during playback.

I really like the stock player...the catch is it only plays h.264 and ffmpeg encoded movies. All the others I've tried have had stutter or audio/video sync issues.

-Matt

josue9

Dec 29, 2010
I was looking for a video player that supports subtitles, I did a test with handbrake and processes the file correctly , in the test I added a subtitles and on my PC I can see that the subtitles are there, but on the regular player I can't see an option to choose the subtitles, oh yes the video looks great, but no options for subtitles.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
OK, that's a good one. Not sure I can answer that question, but maybe one of the other forum members has a suggestion?

-Matt

tursan

Jan 26, 2011
Recent releases of RockPlayer supports hardware acceleration although it does screw up with some video/audio codec combinations and drops one or the other for me. Luckily, it does give you the choice of Hardware/Software when you click the video file in its built-in browser. Also, it supports most common sub formats (SRT, etc) but they have to be extracted from the MKV file already. If you've got a bunch of MKV files with embedded subs and need to pull the sub file right on your device, try "mkv SubExtractor" on the Market. I can pull the subs and drop the file in the same folder as your video so RockPlayer can load it on the fly. Just remember though, RockPlayer won't support multi-channel MKVs. It will either play nothing or pick only the first stream it sees. Just my two cents, hope it helps. If I'm wrong on anything, correct me!

josue9

Dec 29, 2010
Thanks Tursan! I'll check this, that we did was to get a regular AVI, and converted to mp4 with handbrake and in the process indicated to handbrake the subtitles that I wanted to be included, when I play the file on my laptop works fine and I can choose the subtitles that handbrake embedded on the video, but on the NC player no option to choose that one.

tursan

Jan 26, 2011
Since you've already run handbrake and set the subtitle, you must have the subtitle file already separate. If thats the case, try naming the sub file the same as the movie (ex: movie1.mp4 movie1.srt) and drop it into the same folder with the movie file. RockPlayer should see it and autoload it when you try to play it. RockPlayer will load any subtitle file no matter what video format as long as the filenames match and its a supported subtitle format.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
That's is cool, I watch some Japanese movies and show which have English soft sub files. Gonna have to try it, although I've found rockplayer doesn't like xvid too much.

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
That's is cool, I watch some Japanese movies and show which have English soft sub files. Gonna have to try it, although I've found rockplayer doesn't like xvid too much.
Since I end up pretty much re-encoding anything I want to watch on the NC (because Rockplayer is *always* choppy and out of sync with my divx/xvid rips - argh), I use handbrake to burn the subtitles directly onto the resultant mp4 (can use "srt" as a source as well). Since I likely won't be learning Japanese any time soon, I don't mind a perma-sub.

ETA: You actually need a utility to turn the SRT into a VOBSUB (SRT cannot be burned onto the media, only passed through, not sure if native player will see this). SubtitleCreator works well for this.

Last edited: