Best Media Player

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Recent releases of RockPlayer supports hardware acceleration although it does screw up with some video/audio codec combinations and drops one or the other for me. Luckily, it does give you the choice of Hardware/Software when you click the video file in its built-in browser. Also, it supports most common sub formats (SRT, etc) but they have to be extracted from the MKV file already. If you've got a bunch of MKV files with embedded subs and need to pull the sub file right on your device, try "mkv SubExtractor" on the Market. I can pull the subs and drop the file in the same folder as your video so RockPlayer can load it on the fly. Just remember though, RockPlayer won't support multi-channel MKVs. It will either play nothing or pick only the first stream it sees. Just my two cents, hope it helps. If I'm wrong on anything, correct me!

Sorry tursan, I accidentally moved one of your post.

cigarsnscotch

Mar 21, 2011
It's in the market, but beware the free version has some persistent stuff (logos?) on screen during playback.

I really like the stock player...the catch is it only plays h.264 and ffmpeg encoded movies. All the others I've tried have had stutter or audio/video sync issues.

-Matt
FREEMAKE can easily solve that by allowing you to convert it to any video file type you want. My collection is all in avi so i just convert it overnight and stick them on my sd if i want to watch them on my nc

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
FREEMAKE can easily solve that by allowing you to convert it to any video file type you want. My collection is all in avi so i just convert it overnight and stick them on my sd if i want to watch them on my nc
I'm hearing lots of good things about Freemake. I guess I need to give it a try!

-Matt