Best Rom to update Nook Color???

GrEn

Mar 4, 2011
I am personally running the latest nightly release of CM7 and it's working great. The only problem that I was having before was the market apps that I have installed wouldn't show up but that was fixed with the last nightly build that came out yesterday.

phiermod V2 is the best Froyo ROM in my opinion but using one based on CM7 doesn't make much sense for me since it's so out of date from the nightly builds that has had a lot of work done on it.

I have yet to try HC but out of all my testing CM7 is the most stable for me. A few days ago I would have said phiermod V2 was probably the one with the least problems and was the most stable but after the last nightly CM7 is rock solid. I haven't had any issues so far since I installed it.

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
Well I went and bought a class 10 SD card yesterday and loaded up the Froyo 0.6.8 SD rom. It now runs quite fast. Also loaded SetCPU so set up to run at 1.1ghz. This is giving me a good idea of Froyo now. What I like is that the basic home screen functions work like shortcuts, folders , etc. Also the settings functions work as expected (except obviously the phone). One issue I am having is Google Talk constantly seems to fail to login. As a result (I am guessing) the Market fails when downloading any apps. I have loaded apps from my backup I placed in DropBox (bless you DropBox!). Everything else seems fine that I have checked Youtube, web, mail. Wifi seems to load properly from sleep.

So the question now is how Phiremod Beta2 varies from this rom? Of concern that I read is the wifi issue that many of you have. Which as stated above does not appear to be an issue with the Froyo .6.8 I am using.

But I am having fun with this experiment!

Bob

I am running both of them. I just installed Phiremod Beta2 to my eMMC and have Customized Nookie Froyo 0.6.8 Image for SDcard Updated (2/25) on my sd card. I started with 8gb sandisk class 4 and moved it to an 8gb pny class 6 card. See some of my post in the xda thread for more information. I just started with flash sites, and videos using VitalPlayer Neon on both versions. Will report back when I have more info. I have both them at 1.1ghz. There is also an eMMC version of this SDcard version over at xda. So much to try!

Last edited:

bobsilver

Jan 10, 2011
Well I broke down and installed Phiremod beta 2 . The install couldnt have been easier. I found that on 1st blush the Froyo .6.8 was much nicer in that it had a few things set up already that made 1st use easier . But so far Phiremod is performing well. And the fact that it installed with CWM 3.0.0.5 was a HUGE plus.

Question about overclock. Is there a kernal I can use to get the 1.1ghz (this was already installed in the Froyo .6.8)?

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
Well I broke down and installed Phiremod beta 2 . The install couldnt have been easier. I found that on 1st blush the Froyo .6.8 was much nicer in that it had a few things set up already that made 1st use easier . But so far Phiremod is performing well. And the fact that it installed with CWM 3.0.0.5 was a HUGE plus.

Question about overclock. Is there a kernal I can use to get the 1.1ghz (this was already installed in the Froyo .6.8)?

My post 222 Got the kernel over at xda Kernel thread see this thread for link - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...beta-2-themed-froyo-2-2-1-a-23.html#post58718

Where did you get your class 10 card?

As you can see in my above posts I am doing same versions as you. The thread here reference aboved is specifically for Phiremod beta 2 and where I talk about the kernel you are looking for. The new kernel worked great for me.

Last edited:

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
@bob and darmeen see my post above ^ - there is even a newer kernel then darmeen referenced. It is impossible to keep up with this world! But that is half of the fun.

Last edited:

bobsilver

Jan 10, 2011
Got my class 10 card at Frys. Bought a Patriot 4gb for $14.99. It is real close in performance to the internal memory. But that said I am finding the Phiremod Beta 2 to be quite snappy at 800mhz.

From a user perspective the 1st real annoyance I found was the need to rely upon softkeys so much. The loss of the B+N menu bar at the screen bottom was key. So I remapped my volume keys for back and menu. Problem solved.

Thanks for the kernel link. I will try that next. Also finding Launcher Pro to work very nice with this. That was what the Froyo .6.8 had installed. Now if I can figure out what that nice clock widget was on it.....

Having fun!

Bob

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
@ bob did you remap your volume keys in both versions, I find the softkeys implementation on the SD card to be more user friendly then the implementation on the internal card. It is probably just a matter of settings to change internal to same as SD implementaiton.

Did you use adb to remap the keys. I found a script to do it from adb but was having trouble getting adb to work. I think I might have solved the adb problem but have not tried the script yet.

Dolphin mini also remaps the volume button. It would be interesting to see how your remap works with that application. I use that application for flash. Also set the user agent from android to desktop to make flash sites work in the browser.

I have not found that much difference between by class 6 sd and internal in operation at this point.

Larry

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
I am not even using the one I referenced...I am running the one I downloaded a couple weeks ago that worked just fine with phiremod v2beta :)

Someone over at xda I think said that the new one might help if one has some wifi issues. Not exactly sure I been reading too much. I did notice that most people in their signatures were using an earlier version. Thanks for the heads up.

bobsilver

Jan 10, 2011
I remapped the keys using the following instructions from Root Explorer. Note that you have to set the file to read write. Root Explorer allows you to do this. (BTW when you edit the file (using the RE built in text editor RE saves a copy of the original file. Love RE!) Also note that these are the instructions I found for the B+N rom. The only difference is the file file omap_twl4030keypad.kl. This doesn't exist in Phiremod. What is there is _twl4030keypad.kl. Edit this. Also you MUST use caps to rename to MENU and BACK. Otherwise wont work. Lastly ignore the adb pull and psuh commands. That is because this is written from the adb point of control. And reboot when you are done.

# adb pull /system/usr/keylayout/TWL4030_Keypad.kl
# adb pull /system/usr/keylayout/omap_twl4030keypad.kl
# edit 'TWL4030_Keypad.kl' and 'omap_twl4030keypad.kl' with a unix line ending aware text editor (Notepad++, gedit, vi)
# replace 'VOLUME_DOWN' with 'BACK' and replace 'VOLUME_UP' with 'MENU' in each (or vice-versa)

Read more: NookColor Remap volume buttons for back and menu - nookDevs
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike

I only remapped my vol keys in the Phiremod. Not in the Froyo .6.8

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I just wish phiredrop hadn't moved from froyo to his CM7 version of phiremod...it means there will be no fix for the text color issues...but other than that...I am of the opinion that if it ain't broke don't fix it....

or is it...

if it ain't broke, tweak the crap outta it until it is!

I can never remember.

bobsilver

Jan 10, 2011
Darmeen

I guess I missed this issue with the text. Havnt seen that as an issue. Do you mean the soft keys ???