Best Tablet Browser

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Thanks. I did try this last night and it wasn't for me. I watch a lot of youtube vids (not the stupid brainless ones) and one of the main features of a browser I want to have is the ability to play any youtube video, and Firefox Beta failed miserably in that test because if it won't do that, then it won't play vids on websites either. I don't care what anyone else says, I love my Flash and my browsers have to be able to handle it. That's why I never tried Chrome. But thanks anyway. It was worth a try.

Then you installed the wrong version because Firefox Beta plays video on my tablet just fine.

Sent from my HOX

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Then you installed the wrong version because Firefox Beta plays video on my tablet just fine.

I'm absolutely sure it was Firefox Beta. So yours plays all the videos you try? I even tested it on a website and the vid didn't even show up, but it showed up and played great with the stock browser. I'll give it another try.

Update: Ok, rookie mistake. I installed it again to do more testing and realized I needed to install the youtube extension to play the vids. The videos play, but not perfect. The screen freezes every few seconds. The browser is pretty decent though, maybe a good replacement for Dolphin. Thanks Icebike

Last edited:

roddax

Nov 13, 2011
Hi, Have you tried Bing? It works well. We use that on all our computers ans 2 Acer A500 Tabs, since we removed Google from all following the spying issues with it.

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
Tried Dolphin - the link for cool software did me in. Couldn't add more than 6 things to the home? page since that Cool Software wouldn't budge. I only tried Dolphin because of the convert to PDF extension. Dolphin does have nice controls, but assumes too much. Since I'm not a typical user, this bothers me.

I found that Boat Browser also had the PDF plug-in so I changed from Boat Mini. To get around the search engine choices, I added Startpage, and Duck Duck Go. I just click on those if I want to search. Boat also has fairly decent privacy controls, since I never keep history and delete everything on exit.

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
Y'all should really give the new Firefox Beta a new tryout.
Faster than Chrome.
Sent from my HOX
Like it so far. First thing I did was look for a way to change the user-agent. Awwe... not on the settings. But wait, maybe there's an addon... yes, there is! Installed Phony. It does not let you put in custom UAs, but the Firefox desktop UA meets my needs. It also supports about:config... and a simple quit button... nice. I have less reason to use Dolphin now.

Firefox Beta does not eat CPU in the background like Dolphin and the stock browsers with muliple tabs open. For the same set of pages, Dophin uses ~50%, the stock uses ~30%, and Firefox Beta uses on ~3%. I cant wait to get some time to try out some of the Firefox addons. (Noscript does not apepar to work, so that is a little disappointing.)

After reading through several of these posts, it has become very clear to me that browsers are a bit like colors in this respect: it is often pointless to argure about which one is better, because almost everyone has a favorite based on some particular aspect that is more important to them.

It is a good thing that there are so many browsers available.

Last edited:

Joe88

Apr 27, 2012
I just wish firefox had flash support I can play youtube video fine but any other type of video doesnt work

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I just wish firefox had flash support I can play youtube video fine but any other type of video doesnt work
So far as I can tell, firefox does play .wmv but I would attribute that to MX PLAYER instead.