Best tablet for reading PDF's?

Aggie9

Nov 20, 2011
I've been browsing the forums, but haven't been able to find a thread that deals with PDF's specifically. If there is one, please feel free to post the link as a reply.

In general, I'm looking for a tablet with the following functionality:

Able to read PDF and Word documents, highlight text and add notes/memos

E-books

Basic web browsing

Basic apps: Facebook, news, etc.

Play DivX format

The PDF and Word document reading is most import ant as I'm a professor and researcher so I download articles in PDF form from my university library but don't want to have to print them all out. The articles are mostly text with some tables and graphs. I also review student papers, so the ability to do some marking on the device would save a lot of paper.

We just got my dad the Galaxy 10.1 Tab. It does everything I need so far (haven't tried the word documents yet), plus a ton of extras that I don't need and the price is a bit high ($500). I have a smaetphone that I'm happy with for email, and I don't like typing on the galaxy tab, I prefer my phone's slide out keyboard

I was considering the Kindle Fire but have been reading that the screen is too small to read PDF's comfortably and I didn't see whether it supports highlighting and notes/memos. Also not sure about the video playback on the fire.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If there are any older threads that discuss these issues, please direct me there, too!

Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
I've been browsing the forums, but haven't been able to find a thread that deals with PDF's specifically. If there is one, please feel free to post the link as a reply.

E-books

Basic web browsing

Play DivX format

The PDF and Word document reading is most import ant as I'm a professor and researcher so I download articles in PDF form from my university library but don't want to have to print them all out. The articles are mostly text with some tables and graphs. I also review student papers, so the ability to do some marking on the device would save a lot of paper.

We just got my dad the Galaxy 10.1 Tab. It does everything I need so far (haven't tried the word documents yet), plus a ton of extras that I don't need and the price is a bit high ($500). I have a smaetphone that I'm happy with for email, and I don't like typing on the galaxy tab, I prefer my phone's slide out keyboard

I was considering the Kindle Fire but have been reading that the screen is too small to read PDF's comfortably and I didn't see whether it supports highlighting and notes/memos. Also not sure about the video playback on the fire.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If there are any older threads that discuss these issues, please direct me there, too!

Hi Aggie, how do you think about this one: 10.2 Inch Capacitive Screen Android 2.3OS Tablet PC with Amlogic Cortex A9 Processor - China Electronics Wholesale - Consumer Electronics Gadgets Dropship From China
and you can find more 10" tablet PC in our site, hope you can find what you want, good luck!:)

Aggie9

Nov 20, 2011
What you're looking for is not a tablet that can read .PDFs and .DOCs but an app that can. If you have a tablet with access to the Amazon Market, today's free "App of The Day" is Documents To Go Full Version. With that app installed, any tablet can handle them. Amazon.com: Documents To Go Full Version Key: Appstore for Android

That's a really good point. What about screen size? And would I be able to get those apps on the kindle fire, or does am I better off with an android tablet to be safe?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Screen size is pretty much a matter of personal preference and what you're going to use the tablet for. If your tablet is sitting on a stand, watching movies on a 10" screen would be preferable to watching a 7"'. Holding the tablet in your hand for several hours reading a book and turning the pages, a 10" gets awful heavy. Likewise, carrying a 10" everywhere gets cumbersome and I don't trust leaving my tablet in the car so if it's not at home I'm carrying it. No matter which you get, it won't be the best for everything. What's most important to you is what matters. The Kindle is an android tablet and should not have a problem running the apps you'll need to do the things you've listed. Since you seem interested in the Fire, you've probably already devoured this section of the forum.:) Kindle Fire I kind of like this section too for some reason.:rolleyes: Nook Tablet Have fun shopping for the "perfect" tablet for everything.:cool:

chohnz

Jun 3, 2013
Greetings Aggie9,
I realize your question was from quite a while ago, but I am curious as to which tablet you decided on? and which App you found to be best. I am a researcher and I want to primarily read scientific articles (mostly PDFs) with the ability to highlight or insert notes.
Cheers.

E-books

Basic web browsing

Play DivX format