Bit the bullet, ordered the nc.

armyjeffries

Feb 23, 2011
Hi guys (and gals),

Just wanted to introduce myself. I just ordered a nook color from ebay with $50 off. Along with it I got a san disk 16g micro sd card. Looking forward to turning this thing into a full fledged android tablet. I still be doing a bunch of reading here over the next few days.

I am relatively adept at androids, as I have a rooted DX running DarkSlide 4.2. Overclocked to 1.3ghz and undervolted.

I am familiar with some adb commands, CWR, using root explorer, etc.

My plan is to run honeycomb, but I may hold off on that for a little while, while devs make it more stabile.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

armyjeffries

Feb 23, 2011
I will answer a lot of my own questions, just by getting hands on with the nook, however, until then I will ask away!!

I see that the CWM is an image from SD card. Do you have to leave it on said SD card? I ordered a 16gb card, and dont want to use half of it right off th bat. If I can use it to install clockwork/ROM to internal memory, then reformat the SD card for usable space, then I'm set. If not, I need to order another card so it gets here at the same time as the NC.

revenge8

Feb 10, 2011
welcome!

i suggest (as will many others) getting one more sd card (2-4gb) and use that as a "recovery" card. this way you can use your full 16gb one and keep the recovery one to the side just incase. its a lot easier than constantly backing up, formatting, writing, reformatting your one 16gb one.
Also you cant keep the image on the SD card you use daily, b/c that will cause the nook to boot from that and into CWR everytime you turn it on.

hope that helps.

armyjeffries

Feb 23, 2011
welcome!

i suggest (as will many others) getting one more sd card (2-4gb) and use that as a "recovery" card. this way you can use your full 16gb one and keep the recovery one to the side just incase. its a lot easier than constantly backing up, formatting, writing, reformatting your one 16gb one.
Also you cant keep the image on the SD card you use daily, b/c that will cause the nook to boot from that and into CWR everytime you turn it on.

hope that helps.

That does help! If I can do it with a 2-4gb card, then I should be ok. I still have a couple of old 2gb cards that were in my crackberry. Are there any advantages to using the 8gb recovery vs 1-2gb recovery?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
No advantage...the dev just created the different sizes for partition purposes, because when you burn the image, it constrains the partition to whatever it is set up for. so if you installed the 2gb recovery on a 8gb card, you would end up with a 2gb partition and the rest of the space is unusable.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
It's not like any advantage, but keeping separate 2GB card for backup, flashing saves time. It is better to keep one spare card so that everytime you need to take backup, flash you don't need to use main sd card.

ninja'd.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
:)Welcome to the Forum:)

tumblr_lgb02mCfLm1qe0eclo1_r5_500.gif

Answers, info, and entertainment abound. You came to the right place, this is by far the classiest cache of cats and kittens I have yet encountered in my wanderings around the world wide web. Patience and passion in spades.

Cheers,

LS

Last edited:

armyjeffries

Feb 23, 2011
OK, I've been doing some reading, and would like your guys' opinions. I was really excited to run a HC ROM. Are there any HC ROMs that install on internal memory/ are stable enough to use everyday? I would like to run whichever ROM from internal memory if possible. I have a 4gb and 16gb card. I would like to use the 4gb for CWM and ROM?? And then switch to the 16g for storage once the ROM is loaded.

I have been looking at Phiremod, and it may hit the sweet spot by the time my NC gets here (supposed to be by friday end of business).

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-v4-emmc-2nd-ed-flashable-zip-02-21-11-a.html This is the flashable HC thread. I personally haven't tried to install HC to internal memory, I have run it from SD and it sure is pretty, but there are several limitations. A lot of apps are unavailable etc.
It is my understanding that with the official sdk and source released a stable flashable HC is not far off. Phiremod is nice, all the :cool:CM based roms are nice:cool: but keep in mind not everything works exactly right in Phiremod either. It is a matter of what you are willing to live without for now.
I have been on the CM7 nighlies for a week and every release ('cept 6) has significantly improved.
:rolleyes:I hope I helped to do more than further cloud the issue.:rolleyes:

edit: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook/9634-noobie-needing-guidance-want-flash.html this is the one I was looking for a bit of truncated listing of what doesn't work on the later builds, namely Flash. If that is a concern stay with the Froyo based roms.

Cheers

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I would steer clear of any internal HC ROM at this point (the current HC ROM's are still the one's pieced together from the preview SDK emulators) definitely not a daily driver.

Phiremod v2 beta is the easier (and fullest functioning as far as I can tell, custom ROM that goes beyond the B&N version of Android at this point) but like local said, the CM7 nightlies are making good improvements nearly every day.

armyjeffries

Feb 23, 2011
I had the honeynook04 bootable SD, and decided to go with the seemingly more stable CM7 nightly. Followed the link(s) for the (hopefully) right downloads and instructions. Just want to clarify that I'm not overlooking something. I want to be ready to flash this thing as soon as it gets to my house!!

I have a 4gb SDHC for my bootable clockwork. Downloaded, unzipped to image, and burned to SD with windisk. Got a "boot" disc with 3.5gb on it. I downloaded update-cm-7.0.0-RC1-encore-KANG-signed.zip and placed on Boot disc, along with gapps-gb-20110120-signed.zip and update-Froyo_CM7-dalingrin-OC-emmc-022511.zip.

Once NC arrives, I pop the SD in, make a NANDroid backup EDIT: CLEAR SYSTEM, CACHE, AND DALVIK, and flash the three zips? Remove SD, boot, and enjoy CM7 w/ gingy??

Is the rooting handled by the CM7 zip? That was the only thing I was worried about, because if it has to be rooted separately, then I'll have to get that ready.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Last edited:

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
This is Avis guide to CM7 http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...tall-cyanogenmod-builds-internal-storage.html and all the relevant links are there. I could be wrong and one of the crew will correct me if I am, there is no need for a nandroid bu if you are flashing to CM7. The only thing you would be backing-up is stock B&N NC, which is what you get when you revet to the stock image. If need be. The back-up warning in Avi's post is for people who are already running a custom rom and don't want to lose there former set-up. As you are flashing a fresh image over stock it seems an unneeded step. But I could be wrong.

I noticed you mentioned nightlies initially but reference the RC1 in your second paragraph. These are different things. The RC indicates Release Candidate which means almost ready for prime time. Most but not all the bugs have been worked out and it can be used as a daily driver. The nightlies are a different story. They are quite literally the bleeding edge. They will work but not always. They also require a bit more to maintain and often throw up surprises. Not trying to dissuade you, I just want to make sure you have everything straight.

Like I said I may be wrong but it seems to me you have a handle on it. Prepare for some good times.

LS.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Wellcome Army jeffries, don't forget the beginning of all beginnings beeing that to register your nook with B&N with a google account and don’t forget the end of all ends beeing that to post your screenshot on my thread. I keep my fingers crossed for a smooth sailing.
Gloria