Black Friday 2011 tablet deals

Slatestud

Nov 21, 2011
Best Buy made all of their Black Friday specials, including the doorbusters, available online or over the phone (not in store) today only from noon EST to midnight EST. This pre-Black Friday sale is only for Silver Elite members of the Best Buy rewards program. The website still shows the normal price, but when you add the item to the shopping cart, the discounted price appears there. I picked up the Asus Transformer, the Toshiba Thrive, and the Asus Transformer keyboard dock. It took forever to finalize the purchase because their site kept timing out, but it finally went through. With free shipping and paying NY sales tax, my order total was $660.
Nice!!! First off, I'm new here.Second, I did the same thing... I got the transformer for 249 and the Acer a100 for 189. Which one should I keep? Return? Sell?Thanks

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
What is a Silver Elite member???

Best Buy Reward Zone members get upgraded to Silver Elite status if they spend $2,500 in a year. The benefits (aside from these exclusive sales) is you get free standard shipping on everything you order online and you also get a 50% bonus on Reward Zone points (spend $100 you get 150 points versus 100).

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
Nice!!! First off, I'm new here.Second, I did the same thing... I got the transformer for 249 and the Acer a100 for 189. Which one should I keep? Return? Sell?Thanks

I believe the larger discount is on the Transformer ($150 off) rather than the Acer ($100 off). The Transformer also has more RAM built in (16 GB versus 8 GB). It was also announced that the Transformer will be upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich, I don't know if that will be the case with the Acer.

I actually will be keeping both. I'll keep the Transformer for myself and my wife will get the Thrive. I look on the tablets purely as a toy, so there is no way I would pay full retail for these. The sub-$300 price is palatable for me.

Last edited:

Slatestud

Nov 21, 2011
PHP:
I believe the larger discount is on the Transformer ($150 off) rather than the Acer ($100 off). The Transformer also has more RAM built in (16 GB versus 8 GB). It was also announced that the Transformer will be upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich, I don't know if that will be the case with the Acer.

I actually will be keeping both. I'll keep the Transformer for myself and my wife will get the Thrive. I look on the tablets purely as a toy, so there is no way I would pay full retail for these. The sub-$300 price is palatable for me.

The Acer is actually $140 off. I think whichever one I don't want... I will try to sell and make a quick profit. My deciding factor will be the screen size.

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
Are the less than $100 ones worth it for reading, pdfs, email and websurfing? Will they do movies like netflix? I am wanting one for me and one for my son age 6 (mainly for angry birds and reading)
thanks

log0008

Nov 22, 2011
love by electrical items on black Friday! Always have great prices and tablets are no exaption!

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
Are the less than $100 ones worth it for reading, pdfs, email and websurfing? Will they do movies like netflix? I am wanting one for me and one for my son age 6 (mainly for angry birds and reading)
thanks

The problem with the ultra cheap tablets are that they are

1. loaded with older OS versions like Android 2.0 or 2.1, and more importantly

2. they are typically limited in functionality, such as they do not have Android Market, but rather use their own app store, which will have much less apps than the regular app store run by Google.

DarrylB

Aug 31, 2011
The problem with the ultra cheap tablets are that they are

1. loaded with older OS versions like Android 2.0 or 2.1, and more importantly

2. they are typically limited in functionality, such as they do not have Android Market, but rather use their own app store, which will have much less apps than the regular app store run by Google.

I agree, I'm personally looking forward to getting the new Transformer Prime in a couple weeks with Android 4.0. When you compare Android 2.0 to Android 4.0 it's almost like comparing Windows 95 to Windows 7, in other words a lot of changes/upgrades especially with a fairly young OS like Android.

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
Thank you Jseah and DarryIB. That makes a lot of sense, makes me a newbie understand much better. I am still weighting my options, but I think cheaper one should do for my 6 yr old (probably around $100) and a little more expensive for me.
Thanks again.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
The problem with little ones is you can't wait for the after Christmas sales, but you could wait to get yours then. Personally, if you want a 7" tablet for yourself and can find one for the price listed here, I would recommend the Acer Iconia. On the other hand, Ice Cream Sandwich sounds like it is going to be released soon and there does not seem to be any confirmation as to when it will be available for Acer. Check out the ICS thread on this forum and see what others are recommending. Then do some co mparison shopping to find one that is right for you.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

jseah

Nov 21, 2011

wildfire

Nov 23, 2011

So the offer price is at both bestbuy and walmart?
I checked the walmart black friday offers and it the Iconia wasn't among them.