Black, White....I don't understand?

Tugboatbill

Mar 29, 2011
I'm brand new to this site, so be gentle:)
I have a PanDigital Novel, but it's PURPLE, so I don't understand what this Black and White stuff is.
I may have missed any previous posts about this, but I'm still learning my way around the site....sorry.
Thanks for any help!

on Edit, I should say that DW got it for me, and I think it was on QVC or HSN....and was supposed to be the best one yet (with color screen) model: PRD7T40WPU1...if that helps.

Thanks again

Last edited:

exscentric

Nov 25, 2010
I THINK that the colored ones are similar to the white but not sure. More confusion is that the old black is less than the white and the new black is the same or better than the white :)

Pandigital.com has some discussions on this. You might find a good answer there if noone here posts.

The model number might tell, but there is some confusion there also I think.

The good news is that if you update it on pandigitals site they know what you have and will deliver the proper software to you.

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
I've heard the colored ones are actually closer to the black ones. Per SlateDroids F.A.Q, it's best use to Pandigital's ROM to update it. It appears that the colored PDN's are based on Android 1.5, so I do suggest at least installing Pandigital's newest firmware, or rooting this to run Android 2.1

JimMariner

Dec 23, 2009
Yeah Fever, this one is getting rooted. It's the one I talked to you about via PM earlier today.

BobKay28

Apr 4, 2011
I've heard the colored ones are actually closer to the black ones. Per SlateDroids F.A.Q, it's best use to Pandigital's ROM to update it. It appears that the colored PDN's are based on Android 1.5, so I do suggest at least installing Pandigital's newest firmware, or rooting this to run Android 2.1
The colored PDN's are sold by QVC and have a modified version of the black PDN android 1.5 platform. AFIK it is not easy (maybe not possible) to root the Black or QVC to 2.0. So you are limited to apps compatible with android 1.5

Apr 26, 2011
The colored PDN's are sold by QVC and have a modified version of the black PDN android 1.5 platform. AFIK it is not easy (maybe not possible) to root the Black or QVC to 2.0. So you are limited to apps compatible with android 1.5

I have both a 2GB and a 4GB Black PDN.

The official update for the 4GB from Pandigital is dated in Dec 2010 (OS 1.5).

The latest update for the 2GB PDN is Jan 2011 (also OS 1.5).
The 2GB now has SlideME market and other welcome apps. The home screen is now a standard Android style and not the B&N app with bookshelves.

The 4GB also has the standard Android home screen but without the flexability of the 2GB PDN apps. The 4GB CANNOT load the SlideME market app onto it. I don't know why since the MB of both looks the same. (I know since I cannibalized four broken PDN's to get my two working ones.)
Pandigital said that that wasn't a loss since I can still download from other websites.

Side note: Google Android market website needs a device with OS 1.6 or higher to work.

The PDN with the model #PDR7T4... is a 4GB unit sold by QVC. It also had different colors then just black.
The White PDN has a compleatly different MB with a micro SD socket on it for the internal flash drive (upgradeable size).