Bluetooth Keyboard Stutters on Iconia A500, Loses Connection?

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
Just a question. Are you running both mouse and KB on the BT at the same time??? Or does the BT mouse and KB come as a unit with a USB BT transceiver'dongle?
No the two are separate.
But this shouldn't make a difference because I had been running them both together when HoneyComb was on there and I never had any problems.
And when I first got ICS there were no problems either for awhile that is.... for approx a month everything was just fine and then the bottom started dropping out of it.

Acer wants me to send it in for repair which I am.
But I don't know if it will really do any good since I've read all over the web that many are having troubles both on phones as well as tablets since the upgrade to ICS... :rolleyes:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I stumbled on another option. Go to SETTINGS, APPS, select ALL on the right handside, look for ANDROID KEYBOARD and CLEAR DATA. Reboot tablet and reselect the prefered keyboard type. I have found it has dramatically improved the keyboard response and no flicker on screen. I hadn't done this ever on my tablet. So it appears that after 5, or so, system upgrades the keyboard data my have been causing the problem.

Thanks to the guys on the other thread.

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
I stumbled on another option. Go to SETTINGS, APPS, select ALL on the right handside, look for ANDROID KEYBOARD and CLEAR DATA. Reboot tablet and reselect the prefered keyboard type. I have found it has dramatically improved the keyboard response and no flicker on screen. I hadn't done this ever on my tablet. So it appears that after 5, or so, system upgrades the keyboard data my have been causing the problem.

If I ever get my Tablet back from Acer and it continues to do this I'll have to give it a shot.
I sent it back the day after Christmas and they just have marked it as under repair as of today... :mad:
Acer has to be the slowest company in the computer business for turn around time.
HP wasn't a week and they ended up after me sending my Laptop back four times replaced it all in the time frame of four and a half weeks.
Dell in Eight Days and these were not work days but instead actual time.

But all that's another story in itself.
Thanks for the info I'm most Grateful. :cool:

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
Just thought I'd give you an update.
I got my A500 back about a week ago and when I first hooked it up it seemed to be fixed.
My keyboard was working flawless and my mouse was doing GREAT as well.
After about 2 hours it started all over again. You know the story of my keyboard.
The mouse started the same thing but once I put on the program I got from Google Play it was fine and hasn't given me problem 1 since then...

The name of the program is BlueTooth Keep Alive.

It will grab a hold of the keyboard and hold it sometimes 10 minutes or 2 minutes until the keyboard decides to go into the power saving state.
Which is fine hit a button and it comes back up.
But no matter what It still spits and sputters...

All acer said is the hardware was fine, and they reloaded the ROM.
What a waste no tablet for almost a month and it still isn't fixed? :mad:

And all they did is the same thing I had done a half dozen times.

I'm going to try your suggestion but I ain't holding my breath.

I'm going to be getting me another tablet in about a month and I promise you one thing it won't be an Acer.... :)

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
I started having an issue with my BT keyboard after halfway installing a third party screen keyboard. Uninstalled the third party thing and reset the keyboard like stated above and it's back to working pretty well. This is a cheapo BT keyboard/case so who knows what will happen when I pair it with a good BT keyboard. Just thought I would mention that this trick helped me with my tablet. Now if I could only find an office suite that really worked with ODT and other Open Document files. For MS compatible files I've chosen Kingsoft Office which is free and in my opinion very complete and easy to use.

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
I started having an issue with my BT keyboard after halfway installing a third party screen keyboard. Uninstalled the third party thing and reset the keyboard like stated above and it's back to working pretty well. This is a cheapo BT keyboard/case so who knows what will happen when I pair it with a good BT keyboard. Just thought I would mention that this trick helped me with my tablet. Now if I could only find an office suite that really worked with ODT and other Open Document files. For MS compatible files I've chosen Kingsoft Office which is free and in my opinion very complete and easy to use.

Just to let you know I got my Lenovo A2109 and it's running stock JB and it's doing the same exact thing.
Frustrating to say the least.... I'll have to try the above fix.... :rolleyes:

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
I've only ever tried one of the A2107 tablets, pretty nice for $150. There are only two things that my a500 won't do that I wish it could:
#1 connect to wired ethernet with a USB to ethernet adapter
#2 connect to USB to serial adapter to get into things with serial ports.

I kind of have #2 fixed with a bluetooth to serial device, but it would be convenient to just grab the cable and connect sometimes. I've tried two different chips for the USB ethernet devices, but chips are supposed to be supported in ICS so Acer must have removed this support, people with Galaxy Tab have reports these as working.

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
I've only ever tried one of the A2107 tablets, pretty nice for $150. There are only two things that my a500 won't do that I wish it could:
#1 connect to wired ethernet with a USB to ethernet adapter
#2 connect to USB to serial adapter to get into things with serial ports.

I kind of have #2 fixed with a bluetooth to serial device, but it would be convenient to just grab the cable and connect sometimes. I've tried two different chips for the USB ethernet devices, but chips are supposed to be supported in ICS so Acer must have removed this support, people with Galaxy Tab have reports these as working.

The IdeaTab A2109 is on par with the more expensive of it's counterparts IMHO.
I got mine on newegg.com for $214.98 shipped.
The only thing it doesn't have my A500 had is a full size Usb Port where I can easily connect Usb devices to it without having to unplug it's power from it, Because it charges through it's Micro Usb Port.

But that's the way most are charging their tablets anymore and if not they don't have a Usb Port of any kind so it's kind of a trade off.
As for what you want to do with it, there's always the Lenovo IdeaTab A2109 Forum located here on this site, You could always go there and ask, They helped me a lot before I even got my IdeaTab.

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012

I finally gave it a shot once I got my IdeaTab A2109 and even though it's running stock JB and not ICS.
It showed me it wasn't the OS, Anyway I tried what you said and it 99% fixed the problem... :cool:

What it had to do with the screen blinking I have "NO IDEA" but my screen hasn't blinked once since.
And a few minor stutters from the keyboard but nothing I can't live with, At least it's not consistent.....

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I finally gave it a shot once I got my IdeaTab A2109 and even though it's running stock JB and not ICS.
It showed me it wasn't the OS, Anyway I tried what you said and it 99% fixed the problem... :cool:

What it had to do with the screen blinking I have "NO IDEA" but my screen hasn't blinked once since.
And a few minor stutters from the keyboard but nothing I can't live with, At least it's not consistent.....
Excellent. At least some issues are solved. I haven't had the flickering screen since. My daughter did the same thing and her screen has settled as well. It must have had something to do with the screen refresh rate when accessed by the KB when it writes to the screen.
:cool: