Bluetooth Keyboard with Cyanogenmod 7 Spider E-series E-BTKB-B001 won't pair

Dr.Bones

Jan 11, 2011
Hello All,

I've pretty much kept up with cyanogenmod's nightly updates, for those of you who use it or any other rom based on cyanogenmod 7, are you using a bluetooth keyboard?

I'm looking for a standard size keyboard like on a netbook. I found this one:

Spider Bluetooth Keyboard E-series E-BTKB-B001 on amazon which is about the same size as a netbook's keyboard.

Unfortunately it requires that you type a code from your "screen" into the bluetooth keyboard to allow it to pair and connect. I've not had much luck pairing and the manufacturer provided only a link to their youtube channel to show you how to do it on an ipad/apple device.

So, what types of keyboards does anyone have? Do you like it? How easy was it to pair.

I'm going to cross post this on the nook forum for cyanogenmod forum to get feedback there as well.

Thanks!

DrBones

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
usually the pairing code is 0000 or 1234 on most devices.

mazook98

Dec 12, 2010
I have bought and tested 4 completely different bt keyboards for my nooks and for friends' nooks...ALL of them asked for a password..and in EVERY case, it didn't matter what the password# was, only that the same exact one was used on both devices...Also, they ONLY connected ONE way, in every scenario: type a pw # into the nook FIRST, then hit okay...Quickly type the same # (you will be doing this 'blindly' on the. Bt keyboard, so KISS...)..then hit Enter on the bluetooth kb...It will say 'paired and connected' with X device on your nook. You now have a working bt keyboard...and you wont ever have to do the pw again...PS...make SURE you have the nook bt set to "discoverable"..and like all settings in Android, it's best to check/uncheck/check ANY setting to make sure it "sticks"...hope this helps...(this method even worked with a KIRF'y bt "Appul" type kb I bought in our 'Chinatown' type part of the city for 20 bucks...)

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

Dr.Bones

Jan 11, 2011
Thanks for the info, I couldn't find this information anywhere. What keyboards have you tried?

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

sherwingws

Oct 19, 2011
All:

Using the instructions above, I was able to pair, connect and use a Microsoft Bluetooth Keyboard 6000 with my Nook Color CynanogenMod 7 encore SD-Card
with one small gotcha.

If the nook display is in landscape mode, The cursor keys are rotated.

Up gives left, Down gives right, Left gives down and Right gives up.

When in portrait mode the keys work normally.

I just bought it today, so I don't know how well it will work long term, but this is a nice ergonomically curved keyboard, with full size keys, about the same width as the Nook Color in its jacket. Will report later on how well it works long term.

Gary

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
From what I've read the Bluetooth radio in the Nook is pretty bad with very limited range. Hopefully an update will fix this, but I suspect it's more of a hardware issue.

sherwingws

Oct 19, 2011
From what I've read the Bluetooth radio in the Nook is pretty bad with very limited range. Hopefully an update will fix this, but I suspect it's more of a hardware issue.

I fail to see this as a serious issue. You would not use your keyboard more than a foot or two from the screen, and audio would seldom be more than three.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I fail to see this as a serious issue. You would not use your keyboard more than a foot or two from the screen, and audio would seldom be more than three.

Some people are reporting measuring Blutooth distances in inches, so yes it may be an issue for some.