Bluetooth under GB

Stringrazor

May 3, 2012
Does it work at all? I got "paired but not connected" with 2 different BT earpices.

Last edited:

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
Gingerbread has a hard time with bluetooth devices, Honeycomb has BT-HID (Human Interface Devices) host activated and handles most devices very well. I can link my VTAB-HC by BT through my computer and stream audio, but a BT earbud runs on a different protocal. Most headsets run HFP (Hands Free Profile) which is 2way communication and Vtab audio streaming runs A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) which is a 1way.

Most devices can link to each other but that does not mean they can talk to each other.

Stringrazor

May 3, 2012
So then, are you saying that no BT earbuds will work with the vtab, even under HC? I'm trying to get Talkatone working. I can make connections ok but can't be heard. Voice Search hears me but Talkatone doesn't.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Bluetooth does work under both GB and HC but it works better under HC. If voice search hears you through the bluetooth then it must be the app that is having the bluetooth issue.

Have you tried Groove IP as was suggested instead of Talkatone? I haven't used either but Groove IP has been successfully used on multiple devices along with Google Voice for calling.

Stringrazor

May 3, 2012
The BT ear pieces pair but don't connect so NOTHING can use them. That's a vtab/Android problem. Talkatone's problem is that is doesn't seem to be able to accept ANY audio input from the vtab whether from the wired TRRS headset that came with my Blackberry Storm II cellphone or when set to "speakerphone". Voice Search responds to both the internal mic and the headset so I know audio input is working. I was hoping using a BT device would work but since the vtab won't connect to the ones I have, that's not workable.

I assume the vtab supports duplex audio (simultaneous input and output), is that correct? No call app (Skype, etc.) could work if the h/w didn't support duplex audio.

As for Groove IP, I initially looked it up and dismissed it since it was $4.99 but now I see there's a free "Lite" version (a different app listing) so I will give that a try.

Is anyone successfully using common BT earpieces with the Vtab under GB? HC? Is it possible my BT devices will connect if I upgrade to HC?

Last edited:

Stringrazor

May 3, 2012
I allowed the HC update to proceed yesterday. Afterwards under HC, the BT earpiece connected without problems and Talkatone worked fine from speakerphone.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Good to know. Thanks for the update. Bluetooth support is one of the things reported as consistently better in HC/ICS.