Bookmark Widget Question

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
I love the handy bookmark widget that comes with the A500 and I would say it is the app I use the most every day. Right now at this point, I have 34 bookmarks on it. I just made one folder and moved my most used bookmarks to it, so I can switch back and forth from most used, to the list of all the others. My question is, does anyone know if this is causing any kind of lag on my tablet? I'm upgraded to ICS and I've always had a lot of bookmarks and it doesn't seem like there's a lag, but I don't know for sure because I've never used the tablet without this widget and lots of bookmarks. I'm mostly just curious, but if someone tells me they know for sure that it's causing a noticeable lag, I might use the browser bookmark function. Thanks!

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
I use the bookmark widget as well and love it. As for as lag, are you using a live wall paper. When I use a live wall paper I notice a definite lag and the lag goes away when I turn off the wall paper. There are other things that will cause a lag too, but not likely the bookmarks widget.

You do know too that you can sync the bookmarks to your PC browser bookmarks. And any time you add a bookmark on your PC it will add to your Acer automatically.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
I use the bookmark widget as well and love it. As for as lag, are you using a live wall paper. When I use a live wall paper I notice a definite lag and the lag goes away when I turn off the wall paper. There are other things that will cause a lag too, but not likely the bookmarks widget.

You do know too that you can sync the bookmarks to your PC browser bookmarks. And any time you add a bookmark on your PC it will add to your Acer automatically.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it. No, I don't use live wall paper. I've tried a few and, like you, found that they cause a definite lag. In fact, the only widget I use is the bookmark one as most widget do cause some lag. It is reassuring that you said, "...not likely the bookmarks widget." No, I didn't know it was possible to sync PC browser bookmarks to the tablet. Interesting. I do mostly use Dolphin HD though, not the default very often.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it. No, I don't use live wall paper. I've tried a few and, like you, found that they cause a definite lag. In fact, the only widget I use is the bookmark one as most widget do cause some lag. It is reassuring that you said, "...not likely the bookmarks widget." No, I didn't know it was possible to sync PC browser bookmarks to the tablet. Interesting. I do mostly use Dolphin HD though, not the default very often.
I use to have live wall paper - especially those NASA shots - but now I just use a fixed one. Widgets can chew bandwidth.

MartyTess

Apr 28, 2012
i dont know , but i do have a new lag since a got ics... its always when i turn the tablet ON, from sleep mode in fact, after a long time. its laging big time. i dont use any live wallpaper, but i do use Go Launcher Ex. i tried to find what would be the problem by first killing all apps one by one. I'm not sure if its the reason, but today, as soon as i killed Google+ in the cache process, it stop lagging right away. i dont use google+ by the way. I dont even have an accoucnt. its the automatic proccess that comes with ics imo. I will try again next time....but can you check if its the same for you? or anyone else have this problem?

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
i dont know , but i do have a new lag since a got ics... its always when i turn the tablet ON, from sleep mode in fact, after a long time. its laging big time. i dont use any live wallpaper, but i do use Go Launcher Ex. i tried to find what would be the problem by first killing all apps one by one. I'm not sure if its the reason, but today, as soon as i killed Google+ in the cache process, it stop lagging right away. i dont use google+ by the way. I dont even have an accoucnt. its the automatic proccess that comes with ics imo. I will try again next time....but can you check if its the same for you? or anyone else have this problem?

Hi MaryTess. Thanks for your reply. I don't have Google+ on my tablet so I can't check that, and I don't even think I have a lag. In my OP I was just wondering if the bookmark widget could cause a slight lag. I was using it since I got my tablet, so I couldn't compare how the tablet worked without it. Now I feel a little silly for even posting that because I can remove the widget and find out for myself. I will do that today.

Now for your problem...you obviously shouldn't have a big lag like that. Do you know you can disable a lot of the apps you don't use? You said you killed Google+, you can disable it. I disabled mine. I would disable a lot of the apps you don't use. Be careful which ones you disable though, and clear the cache before you do. I would recommend you getting a cache cleaner if you don't have one, and run it at least once a day to clean all the caches. I use 1-Tap Clean Cache, free from the Play Store. Another one I like is App Cache Cleaner, also free. Keeping the cache free will help.