books being uploaded to library without being told to

marktinker

Jan 4, 2015
Hi not sure if this problem should be here or in ME176CX forum.. I recently bought asus ME176CX running Kitkat 4.4 (I'm new to both) I don't want to use cloud storage or similar as I run using EE Mifi and dont.to want to waste Gb. I don't think I told the machine to upload or download ebooks that I copied from my laptop to micro sd card via Calibre but the screen is very sensitive so perhaps I did when I thought I was scrolling or something.
Is there a way of telling the asus or Kitkat not to upload/download books and how do I delete the books that have been uploaded. I'm using FBReader to read books if that affects anything but suspect its one of the preinstalled apps thats doing the up/download and telling me I can't read the book unless i download it when I know its on my SD card
I do use the asus for web searching, downloading apps, utube etc. so don't want to turn of internet connection
thanks mark

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I'm a little confused by your post based on the title vs content. Could you boil the problem down to 2 sentences? Like are you trying to conserve data, have everything you are reading off-line?

marktinker

Jan 4, 2015
don't want to use online storage, didn't intend to use online storage, don't know how to prevent

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Getting closer. ;) Do you know where the files are being stored? The reason I ask is because the Library app is not in the cloud.

marktinker

Jan 4, 2015
I assumed it was in the cloud because it says uploading and downloading and little arrows appear at the top left of the screen and when I stroke down from top of the screen a blue square appears with messages like you have 2 new messages 2 apps updated and 2 books downloaded

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Some books, depending on the source, do get downloaded to read. Not sure about the upload part though I'm fairly certain it isn't the Library that's the problem. What other accounts do you have besides the Google account?

marktinker

Jan 4, 2015
other accounts things like facebook and outlook, yahoo?
the books that are being downloaded are some of the ones that I copied to the sd card in the asus and that presumably I uploaded jn the first place by accident. I did have a look at the kindle app but decided I didn't want to use it and I tried the play books app but decide against that too as they both wanted to go online. I think its google play books thats responsible because when I open it I get some books appear that I copied to sd card, some with download arrows and when i click on SEE ALL the next page has a bar at the left labelled all books and next to it uploads which when I click on it opens page with more books from my sd card.
How do I disable google play books?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
If you are using Google Play Books you don't want to disable it, but if you aren't go to settings apps and scroll to all. Find the Google Books app and tap it. First clear the cache then you should be able to use the upper right button to disable it. If that button says uninstall updates do that first then disable it.