boost?

lemmyslender

Jan 10, 2011
Isn't Boost running on the Sprint network? Which makes is CDMA not GSM, and not compatible with the S7?

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
Isn't Boost IDEN? In the US anyway? You used to be able to get a phone on their CDMA side, but not any more.

lemmyslender

Jan 10, 2011
Sprint bought Nextel (IDEN) and I think most of the stuff is converted over to the Sprint network. IDEN is a flavor of CDMA any. At least here in the US.

hhsader

Jan 20, 2011
yeah, the iden gets me... Id like to just try someones sim card but none of my friends have boost... 50 a month for unlimited everythimg would be pretty sweet

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
Well, I do have a boost phone with a sim card in it. It is not funded any more though, I wonder if I could tell anything by putting it in the S7. Hmm, I actually have a couple of boost phones now that I look.\

OK, I put one of the sim cards in, it does seem to be recognized as a sim, the android system information app under system/telephony shows "sim operator" as "boost", but the phone type is GSM and boost is IDEN, so I don't think it will work. There is no signal strength showing, and I did used to get some signal at my house. If it were going to work, the way others have done it is to activate the sim in a boost phone, then move it.

Last edited:

hhsader

Jan 20, 2011
yeah I planned on doing that, I just dont want to drop the money on a boost phone and service if it isnt going to work

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
I went the tmobile pay as you go, no data. Working well.

Sent from my Ideos S7

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
iDEN is a TDMA-based digital wireless standard designed to work in special frequencies originally designated for analog Specialized Mobile Radio (SMR) networks. A lot of Nextel phones have GSM built into them so they work world wide. But, this does not mean you can use a GSM phone on the iDEN network. Boost also is currently switching to full CDMA since the iDEN network is being taken over by the US Gov by 2012. Sprint is releasing qChat and is already on the way to get WiMax to replace it. So it's not even something to use long term on a GSM device even if it were possible.