Boosting WiFi

Rathstar

Aug 17, 2011
I do not have a connection problem. My A500 connects to my hone wireless network fine and has no blind spots. My issue is using it at work. I work in a Courthouse that was wireless access points throughout the building. My problem is the nearest to my desk is about 70 feet away with 3 offices, 2 courtrooms and an elevator shaft in between. Occasionally, I get a weak connection which I seem to lose just as I’m going to open my email.

I was looking at a High gain USB wireless adapter.

My questions, will the Acer A500 accept it and will it work? Has anyone tried? The ones I’m looking at have hundreds of positive reviews but not one mentions tablets.​

Rathstar

Aug 17, 2011

dolherin

Aug 26, 2011
Forgive me my stupid question. I also have a problem with weak wifi reception. Do these wireless USB adapters work like an external antenna for a device? And do they work with android tablets or not?
Reinhold Pupu

K9CHP

Aug 3, 2011
I solved my problems with weak wifi at home by using a wifi repeater. No physical connection to the network, but you need to know the password to the existing wireless network something your it person would cringe at giving you, but they may set it themselves for you. Mine is the Amped wireless repeater 300 sold by Amazon.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

dolherin

Aug 26, 2011
I want to use my tab abroad in hotelrooms. So far I have been disappointed. A hotel may advertise that they have wireless internet in hotelrooms, but my Iconia A500 is not able to connect because of weak signal strengh. With a normal mobile computer I can manage, but I dont want to carry it with me during holidays. Reinhold Pupu

K9CHP

Aug 3, 2011
Over 70 feet in radius from the repeater, in all directions. At one point, I was over 100 feet from the repeater. The signal was feeble at that distance, but no disconnection!
Now this depends on lots of factors, like height (mine is on the ground floor on top of a cabinet, most of the property is at the same height or below it, quite a bit), number of walls it has to go through, their composition and factors like interference among others. No promise it will perform the same way elsewhere.

K9CHP

Aug 3, 2011
I was losing connection in my living room and kitchen quite frequently, 25-35 feet from the router, so I never tested outdoor, why would I?

K9CHP

Aug 3, 2011
The router is in the basement on a shelf near my computer and radios. Not a great place for it but this is the only place it could go and be near the computer and the cable tv/internet... The house bean and ducts are in the way a well as the low location. But my iPod Touch, the wife's iPad nor our Droid Incredible phones had connection problems in the house. But other than the smartphones worki.g on the cell network, nothing ever worked outdoors.

So the signal boost is good for all or devices but answered a definite shortcoming of the A500.