boot loop after backup using clockwork

hafded7

Apr 28, 2011
i recently did a backup of my rooted nook color using clockwork and once it finished the backup when it went to reboot it started boot looping . it doesnt get past the future of reading image. ive tried to do the three button salute but it doesnt do it and ive tried the 8x restart but it just continues the boot loop while im holding the power button so it doesnt recognize im shuting it down. ive looked through the threads and these are the only two options ive come across. can anyone help me asap please. the two options ive found seem simple enough and ive done both before but they just are not processing for some reason.whether it be the screen isnt on long enough or what . but any help would be greatly appreciated

oh and i used autonooter to root if thats helps any..and im just running the rom that came with it ... no costom roms

hafded7

Apr 28, 2011
oh that could be it. the thing is i used cwr 3.0.0.5 through the sd card to do the original stock backup and it worked fine. but when i did the recent backup using the 4.0 app through the market it gave me this problem . this is all fresh,it happened yesterday and i thought it would be better to ask rather than add to the problem. but ill try the link you posted and post my results. thank you for the info and the quick reply . it is much appreciated.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
oh that could be it. the thing is i used cwr 3.0.0.5 through the sd card to do the original stock backup and it worked fine. but when i did the recent backup using the 4.0 app through the market it gave me this problem . this is all fresh,it happened yesterday and i thought it would be better to ask rather than add to the problem. but ill try the link you posted and post my results. thank you for the info and the quick reply . it is much appreciated.

Sure thing it is ok to ask but searching helps too. The entire last page of the thread above is for the same issue. The simple solution is to put the CWR 3.0.1 zip on an SD card then when you boot into recovery choose to flash that zip from your card. This will overwrite 3.0.0.5 and fix the bootloop. When you do get booted again, you can update ROM Manager to 4.1 or 4.2 which is the latest. Then if you open ROM Manager choose flash CockworkMod Recovery and select Nook Color (not old) then REBOOT. This will put the latest CWR 3.0.2.8 on your nook.

hafded7

Apr 28, 2011
because i cant even get into the nook because of the boot loop would it be better to use cwr through the sd card? if so im going to have to go through that process again of burning cwr on to the sd cuz i got rid of it because i figured i could just download it from the market and i think what went wrong was after i downloaded cwr from the market once i flashed cwr i didnt reboot before i did the backup. could that have anything to do with it ?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
because i cant even get into the nook because of the boot loop would it be better to use cwr through the sd card? if so im going to have to go through that process again of burning cwr on to the sd cuz i got rid of it because i figured i could just download it from the market and i think what went wrong was after i downloaded cwr from the market once i flashed cwr i didnt reboot before i did the backup. could that have anything to do with it ?

Yes it could. No you don't have to burn a new bootable CWR but you could do that too if you can't boot to CWR. If you can still boot to recovery (CWR) then all you have to do is find the CWR 3.0.1 zip file and put it on a regular SD. Put in the card and boot to recovery (power and n for about 5-8 seconds). Once in recover flash the 3.0.1 zip file from the SD card.

hafded7

Apr 28, 2011
So i finally was able to boot into cwr with your help and from there it didnt stop the boot loop after I installed the newer cwr but I was able to restore my original backup and that stopped the boot loop... now I just have to reinstall my apps and what not...which isn't a big deal...I really thank you for for your quick responses and for helping me get my problem fixed... it was such a rush situaltion because I'm not the only one using the device but I'm the one who deals with all the rooting and what not ..so I thank you again and your help is much appreciated...

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
You also could have used post #3 in the link in my sig...which would have stripped the CWR recovery and allowed you to boot normally...then all you had to do is update Rom Manager and reflash CWR. Sorry I wasn't quicker to respond and save you a bunch of steps.

mgsm00

May 14, 2011
I found this thread while doing a search for boot loop issues. I believe I may have the same problem with my NC as the OP, except the CWR I had installed was 3.0.2.8. I did not reboot either when (I assume) I was supposed, and my screen now won't go any further than Touch the Future. I can power off and back on, but still, just that screen.

I had autonootered with v3, from 1.0.0. previously and was very happy with it. I don't understand a lot of what's going on, but can follow directions well, so where do I go from here?

(the CWR app was installed from the market, so I don't already have an CWR SD card to use)

Thanks so much!!!

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
It sounds like your bootloader is glitching...you may need to reflash back to stock...I would first try removing CWR like I mentioned in my post right above yours...and if that doesn't fix your problem, use post #1 from the thread in my signature...it will reset you back to a default b&n image...you could also try using a backup by booting from an SD card CWR

mgsm00

May 14, 2011
It sounds like your bootloader is glitching...

Well, I know I'm getting older and things don't work like they used to, but, really! LOL!

OK, so I will follow your instructions and hopefully have a working NC again. Progress report to follow when I'm done.

(How do you add Thanks?)

Last edited:
May 14, 2011
Since this is the closest recent thread that is having a similar experience to me, I thought I might tack my situation on here too.

I rooted my Nook Color back in February... can't remember the exact method I followed... but all I did was root it... so I could put on some App Market apps. It's been fine since.

I decided I should try some newer ROMS and followed the sticky thread from Rico "(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels".

I updated my CWMR to 3.0.1. and did a full backup.

I attempted both of these....
update-Froyo_CM7-dalingrin-OC-emmc-022511.zip (for android 2.2 & 2.3 ran off internal memory)
update-CM7-dalingrin-OC-emmc-032811.zip

I get into the "boot loop" issue where it just continues to boot. Doing a restore gets me back to the state before I started the adventure.

Two things to note/ask.

1) When I 'install from sd", it goes *really* quick.... so it says... "installing modules"... then bang it's done. Is that normal?

2) upon my last restore.. I decided to do an advanced restore... and just restore '/boot'... and that certainly was quicker...and the Nook booted then..and it appears to be just as if I had done a full restore. That made me wonder the question in #1.

btw..

As the last attempt, I reflashed CWM Recovery from the CWM Rom manager using the "Nook Color" instead of the "Nook Color (old)" which left CWM Recovery at 3.0.2.8. That made no difference in getting out of boot loop.

Soo...I'm in sleuth mode....looking for other things to try. Let me know if there are any suggestions!

May 14, 2011
Soo...I'm in sleuth mode....looking for other things to try. Let me know if there are any suggestions!

Just an update for my sitiuation.

I ended up finding another 2GB SD card to play with and put CM7.03 on that booted to CWR 3.0.1 and installed that. One additional difference is that I did "wipe data/factory restet", in addition to wiping cache and wiping partition. Since I had my other SD card with a full backup safely on the shelf, I figured I'd give it a shot.

So, I downloaded these from various per the CM7 on Nook Wiki
2gb_clockwork-0.1-ext4.tar.gz
update-cm-7.0.3-encore-signed.zip
gapps-gb-20110120-signed.zip​