broken glass

yumyum

Jun 9, 2011
Thanks brian72.I asked Acer for the price but they did not give it to me before seeing the tablet.199$ is not cheap but what choice did I have.Also I want to thank all the people that responde on my problem - not all with a solution but instead with kind words.Thank you all.

eclipse3g

Jun 11, 2011
Your other solution is to go buy another one for immediate use, then when the supply of replacement parts become available at that time replace the broken glass-digitizer panel. I know with the iPhones -iPads it took about 6 months for the replacement parts to become available.

Fuerte

Jun 27, 2011
i broke the glass today :( dropped a500 to hard floor. screen works still fine but there are spider web lines from the edge. even multi-touch works, so it is just the topmost layer which is broken. i wonder if it is possible to replace it, or fix somehow.

Here is the picture:
$2011-08-16 20.49.53.jpg

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
i broke the glass today :( dropped a500 to hard floor. screen works still fine but there are spider web lines from the edge. even multi-touch works, so it is just the topmost layer which is broken. i wonder if it is possible to replace it, or fix somehow.

Ouch...

Any chance of pictures?

What ever it costs, I suggest its going to be MORE than a SquareTrade warranty. My SqTrade warranty cost
89 bucks with Accidental Damage coverage for 3 years. See image from my confirm letter.

$Capture.JPG

It can happen folks. And it won't always be your fault, but since you use it most, there is just as good a
chance it will be your fault.

Disclaimer: Not associated with SquareTrade, just a happy customer.

ceemee

Oct 27, 2011
good day all,

does anyone have an idea on replacing the Iconia A500 lcd screen.

My product is still under warantee and when i contacted ACER, this was their reply..

As there is a damage on the screen,LCD damages are not covered under standard warranty. If you want the product to be repaired by us, there will be a charge of £55.15 (for courier and assessment charges) before the product is brought in for repair. You will be intimated of the courier details, so you may arrange for shipment of your product to our repair centre. Once received it will be assessed by one of our technicians. They will send a written proposal containing details pertaining to the repair. Once you receive the proposal you have option to accept or reject it. If you choose to reject the proposal, £55.15 will cover the engineer's and courier fees and the product will be returned to you un repaired. After ten days, if proposal is not signed and returned to us by fax or post the repair is defaulted as rejected and the product will be returned to you un repaired. We would not be able to provide estimates of repair cost without the product being diagnosed by our technician. Please let us know if you are interested to send the product to us,so that we can take the unit for repair

i wondered what the estimated cost will be like if i am going to pay £55.15 for only courier and assessment charges.

any advice please? does it worth buying a screen off ebay and fixing it on DIY or sending down to acer with which i dont know what the estimated cost of replacement will be like ?

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
I would buy a new tablet. Then, like a previous poster suggested, do a complete tear down of the broken tablet. Take detailed photos for the blog and future reference, then part it out on eBay. Sell each board piece, battery, case, etc. You might possibly come out close to even. The parts are worth more than the whole. Especially now that there are so few available. And it's just me but a repaired unit just doesn't feel the same as a new one. Like a new car that has been in a wreck, you always know it's not new even with the best of repairs.

Last edited:

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
I will be willing to buy some of the parts my self just for spares or just the fun of it. Like the main board or the battery.

mystriahe

Feb 9, 2012
I'm actually kind of grateful for this thread, it's given me some hope about my acer 500. I am having complete drama over it as the touch screen on mine is still *fully functional*... just the top glass is shattered. URGH. I'm technical enough to want to fix it myself but don't have time or patience to sit and try to find a replacement top glass for cheap. (I'm not above ducktaping something ontop and cackling as it works. I really am not!

is there a good place to sell it for parts? Is Ebay the best shot? >.> should I lug the broken thing around me and pray for no glass shards in the fingers?

^.^ Advice is appreciated.

(Better still if someone knows a way to fix it!)

~Myste

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
I would love to give it a try myself. I have done many of screen repairs on Palm Pilots and this would be fun for me. I haven't searched the net yet but I'm sure you could pick up a glass pretty reasonable.

cadiman

Dec 30, 2011
You broke the digitizer. It is a very thin piece of glass that lays over the lcd panel. Either resistive or capaciter type.

Some are a complete ass`y. and some are removable.

They are both very cheap to replace, some are very hard to remove (coby) and some are easy.

The real problem is they don`t want you to fix these. They want you to buy new ones.

You can find them in China (where they are made).

I replace these all the time on gps (garmin) and tablets (when available).

Your best bet is to put it on ebay and recover what you can.

I buy tablets all the time just to have parts so I am sure someone will want it.

rodgerruss

Jul 5, 2012
I just cracked my screen and it is spider webbing however the touch screen is fully functional.....I too am having a problem locating a repair service or new glass......AMEX only covers this type of incident in the first 90 days. Any ideas on glass only? THnaks