Building a wireless, remote web cam

watsonmedia

Jan 30, 2014
Hello, New to the forum. First post.

I have a hunting cabin in the middle of the woods that I need to monitor remotely. I know of some camera systems I could use, but I would like to build an android device so I can have more flexibility.

I would like to build a wireless / remote / solar powered webcam that runs on a android device. I will be using a external USB camera, but will also need to provide continous power to the android device.

Do you guys know of any android devices that have multiple ports? Or could you make some suggestions on a device that would suite my needs?

I would be using an OTG cable, but I am unsure how I will power it also. I have a very old HTC Wildfire S and it only have one port available for charging or external hardware.

Also, it would be great if the android device was able to have a 32gb micro sd card.

Thoughts on this?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

It sounds a little like you won't get very far if I understand what you are asking. I have several remote cameras that I can control with an Android device, (3 to be precise), with only one being totally controllable, pan/zoom etc. And most Android devices have cameras but not controllable remotely, at least in theory. Maybe I don't get it but it sounds like a nearly impossible task for any but the largest manufacturers and I'm not certain they have any incentive.

watsonmedia

Jan 30, 2014
Thank you for your reply. Do you know if it is possible to have a external usb webcam and a power/charging connections at the same time? Or can you only use one or the other?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I can tell you that there is very likely no WebCam anywhere that will work with an Android device. They usually require software/drivers that are not designed for Android. Again, it;s one of those things that is complicated by the fact that so many Android devices have WEB capable cameras.

You may want to reconsider and go for a Windows tablet.

watsonmedia

Jan 30, 2014
Thank you for your reply. I understand it may need a custom app or special driver and I know a good android developer who can do that part of it for me.

My question is, are there android devices that have two ports? I would need one port to connect the camera and another port to power the phone.

I contacted this guy:
but have yet to get a response.

Thanks for your help & comments!

Last edited by a moderator:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi watson, welcome to the forum. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets.

My question is, are there android devices that have two ports? I would need one port to connect the camera and another port to power the phone.

Maybe a USB hub or a powered hub?