Bummer: "System Update is invalid and will be canceled"

wentzeric

Aug 18, 2010
Have you downloaded any apps that are made for Honeycomb ? I removed just a couple of apps that were MADE for tablets and my installs went fine after failing twice.

These devices are better than an Ipad simply because they lack the security Apple forces you to have. That is the biggest reason to have one and that alone is good enough for me.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Have you downloaded any apps that are made for Honeycomb ? I removed just a couple of apps that were MADE for tablets and my installs went fine after failing twice.

I wonder if that was just an accident.

I had several Honeycomb apps (and widgets) and didn't have this problem. (After all, the tablet was Honeycomb the day it walked out of the store, so why should an app made for honeycomb be a problem for a honeycomb tablet?).

I would be more concerned about how much junk is on the internal sdcard. Its well known you need a fair amount of room to do an upgrade.
If people have filled their internal storage with a mountain of music or videos (or monstrously large games) they might be running into a storage limitation that manifests as a invalid install.

wentzeric

Aug 18, 2010
True but in my case I had next to nothing in the tablet (just bought it a few days ago) and if you have apps made for 3.1 but have yet to get 3.1 that could be mucking up the install as well.

Of course we both could be wrong, were just spit-balling here ...

TechWrangler

Jul 21, 2011
Thanks for the quick replies. The 4th try.... failed again. It's very strange.

Deleting 3.0 apps to fix it seems unlikely. None of them were resident in memory when I attempted the update, and I can't see the update going through my apps looking for something it doesn't like and then canceling itself when it finds it -- and not telling me why. Anyways, many of the most basic apps -- like Gmail -- are made for Honeycomb. How could the update not allow them?

A couple of other things I noticed: On the third attempt, I noticed that the tablet went into airplane mode when the patch was unzipping. I thought that might have caused the failure by being unable to call home when installing, but I overrode it on the 4th try and it still didn't work. As well, I don't know when it happened but all my widgets were removed from the desktop. I assume this was during the first patch attempt.

Anyways, looks like I'll do a factory reset and try again. *sigh*

TechWrangler

Jul 21, 2011
Yep. Factory reset fixed it.

I agree with the poster that praised Android's relative openness compared to Apple's restrictions. That's why I have an Iconia. My point is that Android's market will always be small if basic functions of the OS (such as an update) are so clunky and difficult. I'm a geeky guy, so I don't mind trolling forums for answers, and reinstalling an OS is no big deal. But regular users would be bewildered by the failure to update that I (and others) experienced. Right now some grandfather can't get the update to work and is cursing the son that bought him an Iconia rather than the iPad he wanted for 'ideological reasons'. Anyways, this is a little outside the topic of this thread.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011

I agree with the poster that praised Android's relative openness compared to Apple's restrictions. That's why I have an Iconia. My point is that Android's market will always be small if basic functions of the OS (such as an update) are so clunky and difficult.

Almost spit my Coffee when i read that bit about androids market always being small..

Android is outselling all others, by a wide margin.
Take the Apple blinders off and do just a little bit of research, ok?

Last edited:

gormcc1967

Jul 25, 2011
in the uk here and just off the phone to 1st line support, (i found them usless). the only way i am being told to upgrade to 3.1 is a total reset, what a croc, is this g oing to be for every update? and if so does this not make this tab unfit for purpose? should have listened to the other half and got a ipad, but after using and owning acers for over 8 years i thought i would be ok with this product, oh well as acer says its not the product thats not working its googles fault with 3.1. i think acer has washed thier hands of the fault.

gormcc1967

Jul 25, 2011
quick update now 1st line is telling me to contact their 50p a min tech line, yeah acer has washed their hands of this as said above. looks like every magor update will now require you to back up, re-config ur tab and re install ur apps. not acers fault but googles. i for 1 will be saving the £/$ and getting an ipad2 for my work for now on and give this tab to my 8 year old to use at least they will not really have anything of importance to loose if it goes belly up. Nice 1 Acer fro a x loyal customer.

Anode

Jul 25, 2011

I agree with the poster that praised Android's relative openness compared to Apple's restrictions. That's why I have an Iconia. My point is that Android's market will always be small if basic functions of the OS (such as an update) are so clunky and difficult. I'm a geeky guy, so I don't mind trolling forums for answers, and reinstalling an OS is no big deal. But regular users would be bewildered by the failure to update that I (and others) experienced. Right now some grandfather can't get the update to work and is cursing the son that bought him an Iconia rather than the iPad he wanted for 'ideological reasons'. Anyways, this is a little outside the topic of this thread.

I hope this was not a fluke. I noticed that I have exactly identical symptoms
that you reported, but I had already done a software reset to the factory
settings. I have completed two iteration so far.

Will now do a hardware reset by poking it with a pin and try again.

abrooke

Jul 26, 2011
I spoke with a level 2 technician at Acer about this. He said it was a bug with the update - that my tablet is not due for that update, but to wait until the correct update is pushed to me in a week or two. In the meantime, he just advised me to ignore it. (Have a Acer Iconia Tablet A500.)

Nell0323

Jul 26, 2011
I'm having this problem during the first 3 tries of my download of the OTA update. I was hesitant to do a factory reset because of some saved games that I have. What I did was I uninstalled some of the apps I downloaded that I think was the culprit (apps with too much memory). After that I tried again to download and install the update and luckily it pushed through. Now I have 3.1 with build number 4.010.40_com_gen1.

redrum5079

Jul 27, 2011
Cool. That sounds like what I will do. Not too familiar yet with screwing around with tablets yet. Will wait for later update. Thanks

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum