Buying a Used Acer A500 Tab-Help

shravank30

Apr 9, 2012
I am buying buying a used Acer A500 from a seller .

It is still under ACER warranty for another 6 months (6months old)

As this is my 1st tablet purchase I have no idea about what I should look out for.

I shall be grateful if you can give a list of the things I should check to ensure that everything is ok & I am not given a lemon.
For example how to ensure that the warranty is not void by installing unauthorised software or opening the tablet etc.)

Thanks for advising

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
the lack of replies does not mean people do not want to help.
It is just that there probably is no way to tell you unless someone had it in their hands and used it.
You will just have to search this site for answers.

shravank30

Apr 9, 2012
the lack of replies does not mean people do not want to help.
It is just that there probably is no way to tell you unless someone had it in their hands and used it.
You will just have to search this site for answers.

I understand the difficulty

But I was under the impression that The Acer A500 would be owned by quite a few members here, but I think it is not so popular.
Anyways reading the various FAQs, sticky threads & other questions to get a better idea of what I should look out for

Thanks for advising

juhni

Dec 5, 2011
What your looking for is more general advice. If you buying it online from an unknown source the its buyer beware. How ever, if your getting it closer to home than you want to check these things out. Android version should be no higher than 3.2.1, make sure that if its password protected that you have the code, try to check the battery life(mine last around 7 hours with my usage), a few tablets have wifi problems so check for connectivity problems. Check the screen for dead pixels and lines. Above all else make sure you get the charger, many people have reported not being able to find new power cords locally.

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
Some good advice from juhni. Are you buying it online or locally? If locally at a place like a pawn shop or similar, make sure they let you check to see if it charges. Hopefully they'll have wifi to check the data connection. If a site like craigslist, meet at a place like starbucks with free wifi. I recently bought my toshiba thrive from a guy on craigslist. We agreed on a place and time. Was a giant chain book retailer with wifi. Spent bout 20 mins check it out n chatting with the guy. Learned we're both entering the same career field. If you can't check it out and verify functions work or the seller is very impatient, bail and don't look back. Tablets can be very finicky and problematic. You can brick them if you don't know what your doing. Wouldn't put it past shady people these days to screw someone. Meeting people on places like craigslist if fine if you do your homework and take your time. Cause once they have your cash and leave, it's your problem if it is a pos.

Sent from my AT100 using Android Tablet Forum

shravank30

Apr 9, 2012
Thanks everyone for your advice

I have bought it after thoroughly checking it at my residence for over an hour on all the parameters suggested by you.

I have also made a payment by cheque so that I have a day in hand

geneven

Feb 27, 2012
Thanks everyone for your adviceI have bought it after thoroughly checking it at my residence for over an hour on all the parameters suggested by you.I have also made a payment by cheque so that I have a day in hand
I bought a used A500 about a month ago. I can't tell it's not new. I immediately upgraded to 3.2.1 and will upgrade to ics 4.0 as soon as I can. It cost me $300, which I considered a decent price. In Settings, you can go back to Factory settings and get rid of all data. That's what I did.