Can a novice run the latest Auto-Nooter on NC v1.1?

GreyWolf

Feb 6, 2011
I have a Nook Color that has been updated to v1.1.0. I would like to root it and use it as an Android tablet as I have seen described on XDA's and other sites.

I want to be sure that I am doing the exact right thing before I try this. I am fairly competent when it comes to such things, but I was wondering if any novices have tried this successfully - I guess I'm looking for a little reassurance that it can be done by those of us who are not experts.

Also, I saw a thread on another site that said that a step had been missing from the auto-nooter instructions that were published. I couldn't understand how/where the corrected information should be inserted into the original instructions.

At this point, does there exist a tried-and-true set of instructions that novices can use successfully? - perhaps something with a few less acronyms and tech lingo so that I can better understand what I am doing before I hose my NC. Thank you.

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
Go for it. If u can follows directions it is a price of cake.

sent from my rooted nook color

bugeyed

Jul 26, 2010
Don't follow the directions on xda site, as I have reported, the missing step is to unplug from PC (if plugged in), power unit completely off, insert new SD card & then plug into PC. Follow the instructions on nookDevs. This is an important step, as it won't boot properly from sleep. Can't imagine that it was omitted from xda instructions! Nor why it hasn't been corrected yet!
Also, when the unit reboots & goes blank, don't assume that it is not busy. Give it ample time, not sure how long, but usually longer than you would think. Just leave it alone & go do some other stuff for a while. It is easy, but I don't know if it's a "price of cake"???

Cheers,
kev

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Here are the nook dev instructions http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting

You need the correct autonooter for 1.1 though. I don't believe it is listed on the above page. All the instructions are the same u just need the correct autonooter because u r on 1.1. I will locate that link and get back. If you are doing this on a Mac let me know because there is a script missing before dd instructions on nookdevs.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bugeyed

Jul 26, 2010
This is the latest ver. of the Auto-Nooter for 1.1.0
Auto-Nooter 3.0.0 (1.1 only) - xda-developers
Still, follow the instructions on nookDevs, or with xda instructions, at the point of disconnecting from PC (if connected), power off Nook C completely. Insert new A-N SD card & connect to PC. The unit will boot from the SD card & begin the rooting process. It can take a while & it will reboot when complete.
Cheers,
kev

Last edited:

GreyWolf

Feb 6, 2011
Thanks for all the great feedback. I am going to try it tomorrow night. I will let you know how it goes.

whithergo

Apr 4, 2011
I am doing this on a Mac and seem to be having more trouble than I should be. What is the missing script?

Here are the nook dev instructions NookColor Rooting - nookDevs

You need the correct autonooter for 1.1 though. I don't believe it is listed on the above page. All the instructions are the same u just need the correct autonooter because u r on 1.1. I will locate that link and get back. If you are doing this on a Mac let me know because there is a script missing before dd instructions on nookdevs.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
The part that is missing for mac is you need to place the img file on desktop and type "cd desktop" in terminal, no quotes before the dd commands so it knows where to look for the file. I have done autonooter with both mac and pc. The mac way may not work every time and may need to be done over. The pc way usually works first time around.

*edit: or you can use the drag and drop method noted in tip section if that works for you. If not try cd desktop method above

Sent from my fascinate

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Hm. Stelv appeared to indicate there is a more elegant solution. But I think I found it for anyone else who wants to stay on their Macs:

NookColor Rooting - nookDevs has been updated with the terminal commands I think Stelv was referring to & makes further Mac distinctions further on.

I'm sure there is a more elegant solutions, I only offered an easier one. :)