Can anyone recommend a movie player that we can access? 9742-8

biglenr

May 10, 2012
Let me start by saying that I am not going to root this device. I don't have the skill set to to this, odds are 10-1 in favor of me bricking the device if I try. I'd rather have a device that meets 90% of my needs without rooting than a broken device that does nothing.

I am looking for a movie player that will play movies in .mov format (apple). We had a Kyros 1125 that we cracked the screen on, and paid to send it off to Coby for a screen repair. Instead of fixing it, they sent us a 9742-8, which in most ways is a nicer tablet, but I can't get the former google market on it. All we have is Amazon and Getjar.

Our movie player on the 1125 was rockplayer lite. It did everything we wanted.

Can anyone tell me how to get this APK without rooting? Or another free movie player that will play movies on this tablet?

Thank you for your time, and your patience with someone who doesn't have the skills to hack a tablet.

Joe88

Apr 27, 2012
the stock movie player seems to play almost everything I throw at it without lag
mpg did lag with it, but VLC didnt

biglenr

May 10, 2012
It doesn't recognize the .mov format that my wife has on her iphone. And Rockplayer did.

l8asusul

Apr 29, 2012
mov. is also the format used by most vid cams now. Download 1Mobil, they have more apps than GetJAR and have a larger selection of movie players. I also remember being told that you can rename the .MOV to .MEPG and some players that don't recognize .MOV will see MPEG, don't remember exactly.

As far as bricking the COBY. It seems to be harder than you think. I thought I had done it a couple of times while trying to root, but no. The ROM Steev has produced is great and the instructions precise. Took me a whole 15 min, once I realized I could not enter Update Mode from standby (noob mistake)

biglenr

May 10, 2012
Where can you find MXPlayer or 1mobil? Neither is in either getjar or amazon.

As far as bricking the coby... I could do it. I read that big 15 page post with the "easy" instructions near the end. Too much of it I don't understand, and would screw up. In any event, it's my wife's tablet, and she is insistent that she doesn't want it messed with in that way.

Last edited:

Teatime

Nov 2, 2011
I'm with you. I've downloaded the Imobile and Amazon app stores and those, with GetJar, meet my needs perfectly well. My son said I'd need Google Play to get Netflix. Nope! 1Mobile and Amazon Apps had it, along with a lot of other great apps. I don't see the need to risk my new 7042 by rooting it, either.

biglenr

May 10, 2012
Sorry, I didn't reply earlier...

We found the rock player app on 1mobile. It works fine, my wife can play her movies.

Thank you everyone.