Can I Noot my version 1.2 Nook that I just got today?

Mr.Gadget

Apr 13, 2011
I just picked one up from B&N. They updated it to 1.2 for me in the store, but it is still kinda ho-hum.
I noticed Auto-Nooter says "1.1 Only!"
Anything for 1.2?

Thanks!

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
I don't believe there is yet. But you'll only need to wait a few days and something will be available. :)

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
well you can do one of two things - you can root 1.2 - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...d-stock-1-2-rooted-manualnooter-4-4-27-a.html

or go for the whole shebang and get a custom ROM (CM7) which gets you the access to the market plus a whole slew of other goodies - bluetooth, flash, tablet like keys, overclock to 1.3 GHz

I just picked one up from B&N. They updated it to 1.2 for me in the store, but it is still kinda ho-hum.
I noticed Auto-Nooter says "1.1 Only!"
Anything for 1.2?

Thanks!

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
keep in mind that moving away from the B&N version of OS you will lose the special features of their custom version of the Nook App...Like Magazines, read to me, and stuff for kids books...if those things don't matter to you (they do to my sister for instance) then you can jump to CM7 or some other custom ROM.

If they do matter to you, then my suggestion is to hold off on rooting right now. What we have available for rooting 1.2 in my professional opinion, sucks! It is only half baked, and many things that work on a rooted 1.1 NC don't work on a rooted 1.2 NC.

smannan

May 1, 2011
Sorry unrelated issue - how do I post an issue on this forum

Sent from my Xoom using Android Tablet Forum

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Is it an issue with a Nook Color or your Xoom...if its the latter, you are in the wrong forum to post an issue...if its the former, you simply create new thread.

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Any specifics on what things don't work on 1.2 rooted that work on 1.1 rooted?

Sent from my HTC Aria using Android Tablet Forum

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
The market isn't working correctly Jonesygirl. Many apps won't install properly, or simply won't show up at all...apps that can easily install on Android 2.1 aren't able to install on 2.2...there is something not right.

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
The market isn't working correctly Jonesygirl. Many apps won't install properly, or simply won't show up at all...apps that can easily install on Android 2.1 aren't able to install on 2.2...there is something not right.

Thanks for the heads up. Today, I bought one for my fiance's birthday. It's not until the end of the month, so I hope the bugs get worked out by then. I still might give it to him early. Hoping for a fully functioning easy Autonooter soon :)

Sent from my HTC Aria using Android Tablet Forum

Mr.Gadget

Apr 13, 2011
I finally got it rooted and am running CM7 on it. So far I am pretty happy with it as is my wife. It's quick and I can run all the apps that I run on my Sprint EVO Android phone. It is a bummer to lose the nice Nook app, (I wondered why the free kids book that was included does not download now) but I wonder if anyone will tweak it to work on rooted devices? I guess I probably lost the ability to do any in-store reading as well??

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I finally got it rooted and am running CM7 on it. So far I am pretty happy with it as is my wife. It's quick and I can run all the apps that I run on my Sprint EVO Android phone. It is a bummer to lose the nice Nook app, (I wondered why the free kids book that was included does not download now) but I wonder if anyone will tweak it to work on rooted devices? I guess I probably lost the ability to do any in-store reading as well??

There are other options such as running CM7 or another ROM from a bootable SD or dual booting and leaving the stock or stock rooted B&N on the deivce if the B&N functions are important to you. The in-store function is also lost under CM7.

JP