Can I Noot my version 1.2 Nook that I just got today?

Mr.Gadget

Apr 13, 2011
Hum. I could probably flash back to stock and go from there too I guess. Thanks for the idea!

robo will

May 8, 2011
Just called B&N - CSR said there's "no way" to downgrade to 1.1. I had everything running perfectly from Android market and outside downloads/installs. 1.2 is yuck. All apps and downloads have disappeared - no access to Android market - just B&N's very limited selections. I really think 1.2 is B&N's method of keeping total control of their product - sounds like others are feeling the same way. Can anyone help with going back to 1.1?
Erase and deregister, power-n are not working - - - -

robo will

May 8, 2011
I'm already at 1.2 - hate it. Are you at 1.2? Can you get anything installed from Android market? Do you like 1.2? I can't see where it's any improvement over 1.1. As I said before, it seems like a huge step backwards - - - -

Stumblethru

Feb 12, 2011
Just called B&N - CSR said there's "no way" to downgrade to 1.1. I had everything running perfectly from Android market and outside downloads/installs. 1.2 is yuck. All apps and downloads have disappeared - no access to Android market - just B&N's very limited selections. I really think 1.2 is B&N's method of keeping total control of their product - sounds like others are feeling the same way. Can anyone help with going back to 1.1?
Erase and deregister, power-n are not working - - - -

Will this help?
[HOW-TO] : Restore Nook Color back to stock EASILY! - xda-developers

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
I'm already at 1.2 - hate it. Are you at 1.2? Can you get anything installed from Android market? Do you like 1.2? I can't see where it's any improvement over 1.1. As I said before, it seems like a huge step backwards - - - -

Correct me if I'm wrong. But even in 1.1, unless rooted, there isn't access to the Android market right?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011

That will work. Once you complete that process and boot into your nook you will need root it again. After that download ROM Manager from the Market and then use it to flash ClockworkMod Recovery. This will prevent your nook from updating to 1.2 again.

Another alternative is just to create a bootable CWR SD card and then flash the custom ROM of your choice (CM7, UD or Phiremod for example) onto your nook no need to restore to an earlier B&N version.

JP

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
correct! but you can have stock ROM and boot a custom ROM via SD and get access to the market
as for me i went whole hog and flashed completely to CM7 - never looked back and enjoying it since

Correct me if I'm wrong. But even in 1.1, unless rooted, there isn't access to the Android market right?

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011

Watching to see if you can get this thing worked out. I was getting close to picking up a NC to learn CWM and all the ROM stuff - and still have a decent reader at the end of the day - but the 1.2 Froyo update put the brakes on for me - til they get an Autonooter for the Froyo to get the ROOT in.

I'm watching to see if you're able to resolve your issue.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Watching to see if you can get this thing worked out. I was getting close to picking up a NC to learn CWM and all the ROM stuff - and still have a decent reader at the end of the day - but the 1.2 Froyo update put the brakes on for me - til they get an Autonooter for the Froyo to get the ROOT in.

I'm watching to see if you're able to resolve your issue.

Candlestick, don't let the B&N 1.2 update be a reason not to get the Nook Color. You have many options for rooting your nook and running custom ROMs as well as running ROMs from your SD card so you can boot into stock Nook at any time. If you were going to get the Nook Color before the 1.2 software update there is no reason not to now.

Go for it!

JP

Mr.Gadget

Apr 13, 2011
On rooting a 1.2 device: For the past several days, the links to the CWM files has been down. I am specifically looking for the "8gb-clockwork-0.1-ext4.tar.gz" to make an 8GB image on my MicroSD. This is the second Nook Color I will be rooting. I knew I should have kept the original files!
Anyone know where to get the files now that the original links appear dead?
If all else fails, I have found it on Torrent, but I hesitate to install Torrent software on my PC, so if I can avoid that, I would like that very much!

Mr.Gadget

Apr 13, 2011
OK, all rooted and running CM7 (just decided to uTorrent the file I needed). Ran gapps-gb 20110307.
The only issue I have now is that nothing will download from the Market. What do I need to do to jump start the Market?

Mr.Gadget

Apr 13, 2011
You know what eventually worked for me... I used ROM manager to create a backup of my working Nook, then put that MicroSD into the half-baked Nook and did a restore. Voila! Identical Nooks. I then did a data wipe and resetup the clone with other credentials and all is good. I don't know what failed in the process of rooting and installing CM7, but this fixed it!