Can I use this on the NC

tornadotumble

May 25, 2011
I plan on getting a NC today and was wondering if the z4root app will root the Nook Color. If not, may I ask why? I am not tech savvy and have never rooted before, so I apologize if my question(s) may seem trivial:).

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I have no experieince with this but according to the XDA page the Nook is not listed so I would say no. You have several options besides rooting such as using a custom ROMs or a bootable SD card which will allow you to run a custom ROM while leaving the internal Nook memory stock.

None of the options are too difficult as long as you read the steps, then ask if you have any questions then follow the steps exactly. Plenty of non-technical people have been able to make one option or another work.

Let us know if you need any help.

JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I suggest starting here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html. This will allow you to get a good idea of what the custom ROM CM7 looks like and you can go back to stock at any time by simply powering down removing the bootable SD card and then rebooting like normal.

Once you have had a chance to see if you like it you can either install CM7 internally (or keep running it from the SD card) or you can choose one of its closely related custom ROMs Phiremod or Ultimate Droid to install internally. You also will have the option to root your stock OS at any time should you choose to do so. Lots of options :)

JP

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Wellcome among us Tornadotumble, you look really cute with that red bow in your hair!
Gg

tornadotumble

May 25, 2011
Well thank you, idon'tknow:). You look spiffy in that red shirt of yours yourself! I'm skimming the boards, gathering information and trying to decide if I have enough nerve to root the NC or not:).

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Well Tornadotumble,it was kind of easy when I did because the instructions are clear and I really dont know anything about computers .If you know how to use your computer to download a file, the rest is easy.Does your nook have the latest update 1.2.0? I have to reroot myself,I went back to stock to get the update and now we have the manual nooter 4.5.6 to root but I 'm tempted to try CM7. Read everything, check also you tube,to actually see somebody rooting it helps and go for it, there is a lot of help here on the forum and a rooted nook is great and fun!
Gg

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well Tornadotumble,it was kind of easy when I did because the instructions are clear and I really dont know anything about computers .If you know how to use your computer to download a file, the rest is easy.Does your nook have the latest update 1.2.0? I have to reroot myself,I went back to stock to get the update and now we have the manual nooter 4.5.6 to root but I 'm tempted to try CM7. Read everything, check also you tube,to actually see somebody rooting it helps and go for it, there is a lot of help here on the forum and a rooted nook is great and fun!
Gg

Yes try CM7 Gg :D Instructions are right here just waiting to be followed http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html.

That way you can have a working Nook and don't have to worry about messing up manual nooter or even having to root at all. Fair warning though you probably will want to insert it intenally after you have played with it ;)

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
JP,I picture you as the snake who offered the apple to Eve! When I read the article on ZDNet, I decided I would install CM7 on my nook but I want to do it internally because is faster, isn' it ?Give me the instructions I'll start reading them .
The only reason I was still thinking of using the manual nooter was for the magazines but I read that I can install an app for that now, right?
Gg

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
JP,I picture you as the snake who offered the apple to Eve! When I read the article on ZDNet, I decided I would install CM7 on my nook but I want to do it internally because is faster, isn' it ?Give me the instructions I'll start reading them .
The only reason I was still thinking of using the manual nooter was for the magazines but I read that I can install an app for that now, right?
Gg

That's a good one, but I'm too nice to be the snake ;) It turns out CM7 can run just as fast from SD card if you have the right one. Unfortunately you can't be totally sure you have the right one until you buy it and test it. The good news is most San Disk class 4 or class 6 cards seem to have the correct specs to run about the same as installing internally. The bonus is that you can try it first then still go internal once you decide you like it.

The steps are in the how to link I poseted above. Let me know if you have any questions. I am sure you will enjoy being on CM7 after using it stock for a while now. And yes, you can read magazines from the newest B&N app in the Market!

JP