Can No Longer Upgrade VI30

huangdi

Dec 7, 2012
Current state of my onda vi30:
- android version 4.03 (official version, no access to play store (error 101))
- unable to upgrade to 4.1.1. :
+during recovery the white android appears,
+ the white android very shortly disappears
+ and the tablet continues with a normal boot

So, how did I get in this mess:
- I upgraded to 4.1.1.
- I downgraded to 4.03, because 4.1.1. didn't give me root access

My, not so very informed, analysis;
- I don't have a decent recovery partition

So, how to get back to a normal situation in which I can upgrade to 4.1.1.
(and obtain root access as described in the other threads) ?

Is there a way to restore the recovery partition? (if that is indeed the problem)

Thanks for reading this.

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
Current state of my onda vi30:
- android version 4.03 (official version, no access to play store (error 101))
- unable to upgrade to 4.1.1. :
+during recovery the white android appears,
+ the white android very shortly disappears
+ and the tablet continues with a normal boot

So, how did I get in this mess:
- I upgraded to 4.1.1.
- I downgraded to 4.03, because 4.1.1. didn't give me root access

My, not so very informed, analysis;
- I don't have a decent recovery partition

So, how to get back to a normal situation in which I can upgrade to 4.1.1.
u-boot.binu-boot.bin(and obtain root access as described in the other threads) ?

Is there a way to restore the recovery partition? (if that is indeed the problem)

Thanks for reading this.

Hi, inside the firmware package you downloaded from onda drag the following files to the sdcard -

factory_update_param.aml
u-boot.bin
uImage
uImage_recove
update.zip
patch.zip

Then boot to recovery, when the white droid appears let go of keys, it may stay on for a while then go off, it will then reappear then the green droid will show(fingers crossed) it will then install along with new boot section.
If for any reason it wont install let me know and i will write a recovery file for you to use.

huangdi

Dec 7, 2012
Thanks for your quick reply. It sounds promising! I will follow your instructions in the course of this week.

-huangdi

huangdi

Dec 7, 2012
I tried this new guide (a few times), but recovering gives a black screen for several minutes after releasing both keys on appearance of white android. So, I guess it is switched off and recovering/updating is not working. Anything else I can try, or is this the time to ask you politely to make a special recovery file for me, as you above suggested?

Last edited:

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
I tried this new guide (a few times), but recovering gives a black screen for several minutes after releasing both keys on appearance of white android. So, I guess it is switched off and recovering/updating is not working. Anything else I can try, or is this the time to ask you politely to make a special recovery file for me, as you above suggested?

Are you using the the correct firmware V1/V2?

huangdi

Dec 7, 2012
Are you using the the correct firmware V1/V2?

Just to be sure I just tried again: I copied from VI30D_v2.0-1129SD.zip patch.zip, update.zip, and factory_update_param.aml
to the root folder of my external SD card. The effect is still that the system goes to a black screen after releasing both buttons when the white android appears. Any ideas?

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
Just to be sure I just tried again: I copied from VI30D_v2.0-1129SD.zip patch.zip, update.zip, and factory_update_param.aml
to the root folder of my external SD card. The effect is still that the system goes to a black screen after releasing both buttons when the white android appears. Any ideas?
Have you tried a factory reset from the settings? its under security, do full with wipe sdcard.

huangdi

Dec 7, 2012
Your going to have to try the usb method, you need windows xp 32bit or windows 7 32bit.
Hmm, I need to find a windows PC :-( I guess using a virtual machine is not a good idea. Any thoughts on linux tools that can do the same.

Just to be sure, I guess the usb method uses the tool as provided with the vi30d_v1.5.5 firmware.
Can I use it to write v2.0 firmwares (they come without a usb burning tool) ?

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
Hmm, I need to find a windows PC :-( I guess using a virtual machine is not a good idea. Any thoughts on linux tools that can do the same.

Just to be sure, I guess the usb method uses the tool as provided with the vi30d_v1.5.5 firmware.
Can I use it to write v2.0 firmwares (they come without a usb burning tool) ?

Have you tried reformatting your sdcard FAT32. or tried another sdcard, i have just had a reply on my thread that it has worked 100% on vi30

huangdi

Dec 7, 2012
Have you tried reformatting your sdcard FAT32. or tried another sdcard, i have just had a reply on my thread that it has worked 100% on vi30

Reformatting the sdcard did not do it.
I am right now trying to use the amlogic usb burning tool. The current status is that it stopped burning at 73% with an error. In another thread I found that that had to do with the language settings in windows. I changed Dutch to English and redid the procedure. However, now the device can no longer be handled in the intended way and, consequently it is not seen by the burning tool :-(

The procedure is simpel and worked the first time around:
1. switch off the device
2. keep home button pressed while
a. connecting usb cable to PC,
b. waiting for battery loading icon to appear (does not happen anymore!!)
c. pressing on/off switch for 4 seconds
3. let both buttons go.
4. At this point windows should recognize your device
5. ....

The second time around the battery icon does not appear but the white droid (sic!) appears and it tries to boot normally, but gets stuck in the onda screen.

So, what now? I am guessing step 1 failed. Any other way to shutdown completely, other than holding down the on/off button for a long time. Maybe I have to drain the battery completely?

Last edited:

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
It needs to be english version of windows xp 32/ windows 7 32 and programs must be run with administrators privileges when flashing with usb, also make sure it is charged for atleast a hour, battery needs to be more than 50%.

huangdi

Dec 7, 2012
It needs to be english version of windows xp 32/ windows 7 32 and programs must be run with administrators privileges when flashing with usb, also make sure it is charged for atleast a hour, battery needs to be more than 50%.

I am using win7, 32 bit, device has been on power for two hours. I can not see what the battery level is, since the boot process gets stuck in the onda logo.
I am unsure what administrator priviliges, I have, but I could install devices drivers, so that might be okay. However, the process as described before does no longer bring the "worlcup device" alive for the burning tool to see it. So, I can not even retry the usb burning process; the tool sometimes sees that usb port 5 is used, but it doesn't recognize the tablet as being on that port. Any other thoughts?