can rooted NT use 16gb for non nook content ??

movies99

Nov 10, 2011
hello everyone.. I don't know much about rooting.. I'm planning to buy NT, and 1 gb of non nook content isn't enough.. will rooting allow to use the rest of storage ?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, you can use the full storage on the NT. Usable space (not including the OS) is about 12GB total. Both the B&N and non-B&N apps will install to the default internal memory. You will probably not want to fill this space up with side loaded media (books, movies and music) or you will run out of room to install apps and directly download content.

I would suggest leaving about 4GB of open space on the internal memory for this purpose (depends on how much you like to download and install apps and content directly to the device). This means you should have up to about 8GB worth of space for side loaded files in the internal memory if you want to still have some usable space for other purposes.

ntrooted

Dec 21, 2011
How do you gain access to that 12GB of free internal memory? I have my NT fully rooted and I don't see how to access the 12GB via USB connection to a PC. When a connection is made to the PC via USB, there are two drives that show up. One is called MyNook, which only has the 1GB capacity. The other shows up as a generic drive, but when I try to load it, it says that I must insert a disk into the drive?? Is there anyway to gain access to this internal memory for PC file transfer via USB directly?

I bought two of these for my kids for Christmas and funds are running low....I really didn't want to go out any buy two micro SD cards to increase storage capacity to preload these with the movies and mp3s that I have. This extra 8GB over Fire sold this for me....now I can't even seem to get access to it. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
How do you gain access to that 12GB of free internal memory? I have my NT fully rooted and I don't see how to access the 12GB via USB connection to a PC. When a connection is made to the PC via USB, there are two drives that show up. One is called MyNook, which only has the 1GB capacity. The other shows up as a generic drive, but when I try to load it, it says that I must insert a disk into the drive?? Is there anyway to gain access to this internal memory for PC file transfer via USB directly?

I bought two of these for my kids for Christmas and funds are running low....I really didn't want to go out any buy two micro SD cards to increase storage capacity to preload these with the movies and mp3s that I have. This extra 8GB over Fire sold this for me....now I can't even seem to get access to it. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!

I believe you have to use a file explorer such as ES File Explorer and then yo can move things between the 1GB and 12GB. So move the files via usb to the 1GB then use the file explorer to move to the 12GB. Alternatively I think you can use an app like Samba, dropbox or the network sharing capabilities of ES File Explorer to transfer the files wirelessly directly to the 12GB partition.

wedmiston

Jan 4, 2012
Just bought a NT with the plan to do this...can someone direct me (or provide) a step-by-step to successfully root it and avoid disaster?

docfreed

Dec 4, 2010

I had the same issue and solved it as follows (you must be rooted to even see the additional storage and you must access it through a file explorer like Root Explorer or ES File Explorer - it cannot be accessed via a PC:

I store my media (books, videos, mp3's, etc. ) in the /data/media directory - I get about 12Gb free. I
set the directory to be R/W using Root Explorer and changed the permissions to allow "others" full read, write and execute (again using Root Explorer). I was then able to access the files in /data/media with my Ebook reader (Cool Reader),
mp3 player (I use Mort Player) and videos (I use MVideo Player). I then changed the /data directory back to RO.

kbs24

Jan 22, 2012
I had the same issue and solved it as follows (you must be rooted to even see the additional storage and you must access it through a file explorer like Root Explorer or ES File Explorer - it cannot be accessed via a PC:

I store my media (books, videos, mp3's, etc. ) in the /data/media directory - I get about 12Gb free. I
set the directory to be R/W using Root Explorer and changed the permissions to allow "others" full read, write and execute (again using Root Explorer). I was then able to access the files in /data/media with my Ebook reader (Cool Reader),
mp3 player (I use Mort Player) and videos (I use MVideo Player). I then changed the /data directory back to RO.

I have also used this method and it definitely works, but I wonder if messing with the /data/media permissions has affected my ability to connect to b&n server content. I cannot access the app store or the bookstore and I know that that directory is where b&n stuff gets stored...?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It shouldn't matter. I am pretty sure they don't have a way to check that folder's status and block B&N server access. Maybe an issue on the server end? You might also try logging out of B&N an then logging back in.