Can sombody sign this zip?

truckstopking

Sep 18, 2012
I have been trying to find what signing a zip means. Been to Lifehacker, yahoo answers, phandroid, wikipedia - no luck.

If anyone has a minute and knows of a place where this is defined, would you mind posting a link?

Thanks very much

Elitewolf135

Sep 10, 2012
I have been trying to find what signing a zip means. Been to Lifehacker, yahoo answers, phandroid, wikipedia - no luck.

If anyone has a minute and knows of a place where this is defined, would you mind posting a link?

Thanks very much

From what I understand, signing a zip gives the file information about where the app/update came from and if it's genuine. I could be wrong, and if anyone knows - please correct me so I can learn too.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Elitewolf135 said:
From what I understand, signing a zip gives the file information about where the app/update came from and if it's genuine. I could be wrong, and if anyone knows - please correct me so I can learn too.

There are several reasons to sign zips and apks, What is trying to be achieved here is to get a zip passed the recovery signature checker. An old trick that doesn't work. A few years ago this is how we installed custom recoveries and root. Back then almost all phones used the same key to sign the update zips, so any zip signed with this key would be installed, cause it passed the signature checker.

Companies now mainly use their own key, not the generic one we all used to use, The only way to get passed the signature checker is to use the key it checks for. Problem is the company is the only one with the key, The key the op wants people to test is a fake, someone just made it up, no one can use that key to sign anything. One just can't make up keys and expect them to work.

If a real key is ever leaked it will come from a dev, he will sign the update zip, and posted the signed zip, a real leaked key will never come from someone who needs help in using the key. Simply makes no sense, to give a key to someone who doesn't know how to use it.

Elitewolf135

Sep 10, 2012
Well that makes sense. Thanks.
To be honest though, I can live without root right now. All I want is a working usb connector again.