Can somebody make a update.zip for the Vizio tablet

nicklovell23

Feb 7, 2012
From my understanding is no you can't downgrade. The update.zip has to be signed by vizio and that's not going to happen. The dev work on this tab is basically dead. I gave mine to my daughter to play games on and got a galaxy tab. Sucks because I liked some of the features of the vtab but its too slow.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, unfortunately Nick is right, this is not a developers/hacker/moder's tablet. It you want a good device to tinker on and learn about rooting and so forth, the Nook Color is one of the better options. If you are looking for a generally great tablet at a low price with the possibility of rooting and modding, the new Nexus 7 is a great option. The Vizio is truly a dead end for these sorts of uses.

AlexanderMoralez

May 23, 2012
What exactly would prevent the vendor from releasing the required root access/unlocking the bootloader? I'm new to all of this, but I'd really like to know what a manufacture would stand to loose by opening an outdated and abandoned device to the modding community.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
What exactly would prevent the vendor from releasing the required root access/unlocking the bootloader? I'm new to all of this, but I'd really like to know what a manufacture would stand to loose by opening an outdated and abandoned device to the modding community.

That is a good question and according to the hacker/modder community they gain nothing by locking users out. However, the companies might have a different view for a variety of reasons. They can have contracts with the component manufacturers to not release the drivers (e.g. touch screen or gpu) they can have contracts with content providers to ensure a certain level of security (e.g. Netfilx requires a locked boot loader to support the Netfilx app because studios tell Netfilx they won't get any movies if they don't prevent piracy) or they may want to sell you the next generation of their device so they want you to buy a whole new device to get the latest updates rather than putting them on yourself.