Can Tablet GPS Help Locate Someone?

HilaryPal

Nov 26, 2011
This is my first post here; I do not own an android tablet. I do not own a smartphone or have any device with 3G service, but I would like the protection of having a device with GPS that is independent of any contract. I have been told that Lenovo's IdeaPad A Series and Archos' Honeycomb tablet have GPS. Are there any other manufacturers that offer GPS independent of a contract with a cellular service? (If this post is confusing or even nonsensical, I'm just trying to ask: If an android tablet has GPS, is the GPS good only for you to find some geographical place AND NOT FOR SOMEONE TO FIND YOU?)

The question in capital letters is the important part, because this device would be a Christmas present for someone whose memory is just a bit faulty and who has resisted GPS "Find Gramma" type trackers. An android tablet wouldn't offend a person with slight memory problems but could be used to find them if need be--or am I wrong?

Thank you very much for wading through this question.

subtotal

Sep 29, 2011
The gps reciever is to tell you where you are, if you want to find someone using this you would need to have some separate service (such as 3G) to transmit their location to you.

TLDR version, it's possible for a tablet to work this way, but it needs a 3G or other cellphone network connection to work along with a program such as 'wheres my droid'.

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Just make sure you dont activate Latitude

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

HilaryPal

Nov 26, 2011
Just make sure you dont activate Latitude

Why? I'm new here; maybe you're kidding...right? I'm more confused than ever now but will assume that the GPS is trackable with Latitude or Prey or something like that.

HilaryPal

Nov 26, 2011
The gps reciever is to tell you where you are, if you want to find someone using this you would need to have some separate service (such as 3G) to transmit their location to you.

TLDR version, it's possible for a tablet to work this way, but it needs a 3G or other cellphone network connection to work along with a program such as 'wheres my droid'.

No, I understand that you need some technology on the "searching" end to find a GPS-equipped device. What I'm asking is if it's possible to search for a tablet without GPS. Cyber Monday's having a big sale for Nook Tablets, which would be right up the alley of the person I would like to "track." But the Nook Tablet doesn't have GPS. Maybe I should ask: Can you install after-market GPS on an android tablet? Thanks again.

[As for the TLDR version, I'd read it if you have a link.]

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
there are apps that can be installed that will allow you to do this, such as locate me. These can use network connection to place where the tablet is on the network.

hope this clarifies

HilaryPal

Nov 26, 2011
there are apps that can be installed that will allow you to do this, such as locate me. These can use network connection to place where the tablet is on the network.

hope this clarifies

Yes, it does. Could I download an android locater app for the Nook Tablet? I know this is a stupid question, but I am completely new to anything android. This will be my last dumb question.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
there is an app called lookout which has a locate function. You may want to look at that

stellarebecca

May 29, 2012
Yes you can track the location of anyone by using tablet but for this practice you simply need to install the tracking app or you have activate the GPS tracking setting in that particular tablet.