Can the LePan see a thumb Drive?

S87

Oct 10, 2010
How are you connecting it to the Le Pan, 30-pin to USB?

My older 7-inch tablet can use thumb drives with a mini-usb adapter, so it is possible with some tablets.

Danny

Jan 11, 2011
I tried with a female to female usb adapter to thumb drive with no luck.

GnatGoSplat

Dec 5, 2011
The Le Pan supports USB OTG in the hardware, though I'm not sure if the drivers support it. You would need a modified cable to find out. Pin 13 on the connector is the USB ID pin. When grounded, it tells the USB to work in host mode. It should be pretty easy to modify an iPod/iPhone USB cable into a host cable by connecting pins 12 and 13 since 12 is already grounded. Just be aware it appears iPod/iPhone pinouts cable numbering is reversed from Le Pan.

camanokid

Sep 4, 2011
I contacted Le Pan support. They report that external thumbdrives are not supported.Also USB female-to-female adapters will not work.I replied with a question: will ICS solve the issue.Will report later.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
I contacted Le Pan support. They report that external thumbdrives are not supported.Also USB female-to-female adapters will not work.I replied with a question: will ICS solve the issue.Will report later.

LOL did not see your post.
I just sent them one as well, along with a few other questions. see below.

I frequent android forums, and a common question I see about your tablets is "do they support thumb drives?"
Many people are having problems getting their LePan tablets to recognize usb sticks.
So I guess the question is.
Are the tablets capable? and if so, how?
Do customers need a special cable? or driver? and if so where do they purchase them from?

Also on a personal note, I am wanting to purchase one of the LePan 3 tablets this year. Without giving away to much, can you at least say what month these devices will be available here in the US?
And going further, can you give any information about these where cost is concerned.
Your tablets get great reviews here for being such low cost devices, but information on them is as scarce as the proverbial pot of gold at the end of the rain bow.
Any information on the LePan 3 tablet would be welcomed by your customers.
Information like a more complete list/specs on hardware, the expected OS/ROM to be installed (Android 4.0 ICS), expected cost, product release date, etc.

Any information on this and the USB compatibility for the current 780 and LePan 2 models will help your customers greatly.

So the question of USB compatibility is answered. Lets see what they say about the rest.

GnatGoSplat

Dec 5, 2011
So the question of USB compatibility is answered. Lets see what they say about the rest.

I wouldn't take their word for it. I'm sure their tech support answers to the best of their knowledge, but the people replying to emails are not the ones who developed the hardware or software. I don't even believe they are in the same country.

I do wonder if a generic Samsung Galaxy Tab OTG cable can be disassembled and repinned. Like this one:
USB OTG Host Cable Connection Kit for Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Free Shipping
I saw a few go for 99-cents shipped on eBay as well.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
I wouldn't take their word for it. I'm sure their tech support answers to the best of their knowledge, but the people replying to emails are not the ones who developed the hardware or software. I don't even believe they are in the same country.
I have the same feeling, from what we have seen posted by one of their techs at another site (XDA).

Matsunichi, the producer of the Le Pans, could be a smaller manufacturer, or just have a small team in charge of those products.

The quality is excellent, I am very pleased with mine; but more information, like change logs with their firmware updates, would certainly be appreciated.

Getting usb host mode working on the LPI would add a lot more functionality to it; I envy my wife's Archos 101 tab in that respect, with it's built in USB port, plug-it-in and it works peripheral support.