Can you update to honeycomb or ice cream sandwich after root?

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
Was wondering if you rooted the vizio now, would you be able to do the update down the road if/when they release one of those? It's my understanding with rooted phones you have to do it yourself. Thanks

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
Over 250 views and no one has answered? I know someone has to know the answer to this.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Was wondering if you rooted the vizio now, would you be able to do the update down the road if/when they release one of those? It's my understanding with rooted phones you have to do it yourself. Thanks

No, for the moment you can't do those updates even if you root. That would require a developer to build a custom ROM built on those (or Vizio to release them) that you could then put on the device. All devices have their own specific version of Android that must match their hardware. So until somebody specifically makes it for the Vizios you won't be able to get them. Unfortunately Vizio doesn't seem to have the biggest developer community behind them so it is likely that Vizio will offer the update first.

JP

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
Thanks J515OP. I had figured that much. Just didn't know if someone was going to beat vizio to it. So what does that mean if vizio offers the update first? Will the rooted users have to wait till someone makes it or will we be able to unroot or do the update and lose the root? Thanks

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks J515OP. I had figured that much. Just didn't know if someone was going to beat vizio to it. So what does that mean if vizio offers the update first? Will the rooted users have to wait till someone makes it or will we be able to unroot or do the update and lose the root? Thanks

That all depends. Rooters may find a way to easily root the Vizio update or you may have to wait for somebody to independently develop a version that rooters can use.