Cannot connect to internet using 3G dongle on my A721 tablet based on Allwinner A10

shsaifee

Nov 20, 2012
Hi,

I am a newbie to this forum and to the tablets world. I bought this tablet Here and I love it. Internet works like a charm when I connect it through wifi but when I try to connect with my Huawei EC156 dongle I simply cannot connect.

I have select Data Enabled checkbox and I have even connected the dongle before I boot my tablet, the light on the dongle keeps on blinking but it never connects.

Tablet model information shows A721.

Can someone help me or guide me how should I connect?

Thanks.

scopx

Nov 24, 2012
Another A721 build A10 -"authentication problem" when connected. Have found no fix as of yet. Did not know one was required to be programmer to work an android device.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Another A721 build A10 -"authentication problem" when connected. Have found no fix as of yet. Did not know one was required to be programmer to work an android device.

Welcome to the forum

An authentication problem means your router doesn't acknowledge the password you used on the tablet. That has nothing to do with programming. Try getting into your router and temporarily disabling your security. On the tablet tap the connection and tell it to forget the connection then try again.

shsaifee

Nov 20, 2012
Hi,

I found the solution. And now I could connect with any type of external Dongle to connect to internet. (3G/CDMA/etc.) This APP is truly and there are no ads!!

I found this app on the market called "PPP Widget" configured it and now I could connect to the internet using the CDMA/3G dongle that I have.

Steps:

1. You need to be connect to the internet (maybe using a wifi).
2. If your Tablet does not have wifi, you will require to download the APK from the developer's website (although it is the first version, download and install using your PC and then once you are connected to internet after following the below steps, you can always update!!)
3. Search for PPP Widget in the Playstore.
4. Install it.
5. Since it is not an app, you will find this under Widget tab of the applications in your TAB.
6. Hold and bring it on the Home Screen.
7. Connect your dongle to your tablet.
8. If it is not automatically recoginzed by the Widget, you will be required to configure it.
9. Click on the configure button
10. Add the username/password and the dialing number. (For me in India, using Tata Photon+ CDMA Dongle, the values were internet/internet and #777). You can google it to find the values required for your dongle.
11. Click on Connect button and there you go..!!
12. Message in the widget status bar will change to Connected.
13. Please reply if you have any doubts.

PS: This widget sometimes asks you to disable wifi first, even though you are not connected. You can either enable and then disable it or you can wait for some time (2-3 mins) before connecting again. This app is in its initial stage and the developer constantly asks for updates to refine and make it better.

Requirements:

- Needs root access
- Needs USB host
- Needs a powered USB hub (unless your device has plenty of power)
- Some devices (e.g. Samsung) need additional kernel drivers
- Android 4.2 may take away full network awareness
- Contains native tools for ARM and X86
This app is free. No ads. No data gathering.
Warning: there is no guarantee that every Android/modem combo will work. Don't blame me!
!! If your combination does not work, help with improvement !! Don't just complain in a short comment. See app homepage for feedback options.

Links to the Developer site to download the 0.99 version of this app (APK) if you do not have wifi on the Tablet.

Download APK

Developer Website

Play Store Link

$pppwidget_s.png

scopx

Nov 24, 2012
Welcome to the forum

An authentication problem means your router doesn't acknowledge the password you used on the tablet. That has nothing to do with programming. Try getting into your router and temporarily disabling your security. On the tablet tap the connection and tell it to forget the connection then try again.
I do not have a router, or a dongle.
Well every wifi or hotspot attempted (2 local, 1 at Chicago airport, and numerous spots in Europe in last 30 days have same problem.) They all were either free or password provided. Also did try various settings, and deleting (forget)ting and then retrying. And yes, 5 ghz was on in Europe.
Or am I not understanding your premise?

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I do not have a router, or a dongle.
Well every wifi or hotspot attempted (2 local, 1 at Chicago airport, and numerous spots in Europe in last 30 days have same problem.) They all were either free or password provided. Also did try various settings, and deleting (forget)ting and then retrying.
Or am I not understanding your premise?

If you received authentication errors on multiple protected connections something isn't right for sure. If you got one on an open hotspot that even worse. Have you previously installed any helper apps to get it connected to a phone?

scopx

Nov 24, 2012
I have my own secure phone wifi hotspot that will "hook up" but get same "auth" problem. Apparently in my attempt to discard apps to eliminate system overload ("launcher failure") did discard google play app which is a requirement (?). Now when authentification is requested, get screen stating "sign in to google acct." But can't get in to sign in-catch 22!
What do I need to download on the chip(remounted to laptop) to transfer to A10?
Hope above is not too confusing.
Tom

scopx

Nov 24, 2012
I am my worst own enemy. Finally sorted it out.
The virus protection for android has different "permissions" strucrure than same program for windows. My fault completely. Do not have all set up properly yet. This tablet was sent without any documentation whatsoever. And as not familiar with them,it has been a learning experience.
Another curiosity, one can not use the tablet with charger plugged in. It drives it crazy.
Thanks for your patience.
Tom