Cannot install 4349

mrschwarz

Dec 24, 2010
I NVFlashed my GTab back to its original state and it immediately wanted to download version 3588, which I let it do. It doesn't find the OTA 4349. When I try to install the NVFlash version of 4349, it runs through the entire process. The birds and G-Tablet screens show up, but instead of showing the home screen after that, it show a black screen, which is completely unresponsive. I have tried to reboot a couple of times and there was not change.

I have gone back and forth from 3588 to 4349. Sometimes it will boot into 4349 and show me the home screen once. The next time I boot it, I get the black screen again. I have looked for a related topic and cannot find one.

Can anyone offer a suggestion on how I can update. My ultimate goal is Mountain Laurel.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Let's try:

1> nvflash back to its original state, then OTA update to 3588.
2> Follow Roebeet instruction:
. Extract the RAR to the root of your internal memory. So, you'd have a recovery folder and an update.zip on the root of the mounted drive.
. Reboot into recovery. The Mountain Laurel update should occur automatically (click on the Home button to see the build details while it's running) . Once completed, it should reboot automatically.
. The device should take some time to initialize (two to three minutes, so be patient), then will boot into the GUI. If it gets stuck (and it likely will if you came from a different ROM), reboot into recovery one more time and wipe data / factory reset and reboot.

Links:
Mountain Laurel 1.0.0
Link:
gtab.Mountain.Laurel.1.0.0.rar
Supplement: Mountain Laurel 1.0.1 Link: gtab.Mountain.Laurel.1.0.1.suppl.rar
The supplement is layered over the base build - these are just file copies, like a "hotfix". This is run AFTER the base build.

Triune

Nov 29, 2010
I have gone back and forth from 3588 to 4349. Sometimes it will boot into 4349 and show me the home screen once. The next time I boot it, I get the black screen again. I have looked for a related topic and cannot find one.

Can anyone offer a suggestion on how I can update. My ultimate goal is Mountain Laurel.

At first had some issues with the NVFlash routine, but when reading through, and as I have tried most of the 1.1 ROMs, it works best if you are able to get to as clean a state as possible. I know there are some great posts, step by step, on getting back to that clean state, then do the flash. It worked great once I got stuff off, back up first of course, and have been on BC 1.2 for a while. Great tab now. Good luck.

justdrooit

Apr 21, 2011
Similar problem here. I want to try the Honeycream Alphas and I need to be at 4349. I NVFlashed back to stock and then applied 3588, but no sign of 4349 being available OTA. Not sure how to get it if it's not available.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I have been playing (fighting) with this for a while and have finally settled on what i think is just the easiest way to do it, and that is to have TWO NVFLASH setups. I have one that will flash to 3588 and a separate one that will flash to 4349.

Roebeet has even made this ridiculously easy by building the images for both, which you can find the links for here: [RECOVERY] nvflash FULL restore, using either 1.1 or 1.2 based images - [G-TABLET] - SlateDroid.com

Create 2 folders on your PC, label them accordingly and then you are good to go. I was only ever able to successfully update to Honeycream once going from a base 3588, but it works a treat every time starting from the base 4349.

Cheers,
Peter

WhyDidI

Jun 2, 2011
Hi,
I'm in a pickle with a brand new gtab I just received this week. It came in stock package, etc. but had 4349 on it by default. I wanted Vegan5.1.1 so I was going to use Roebeet's 1.1 image BUT then I saw a 4349_downgrade.zip file and thought...easier. I put the files as update.zip first on SDCARD2, then on SDCARD; same result. Stock recovery reported an error like could not open or not found. I verified that the zip was good by opening the .zip from within the stock ES file manager. I saw at some point there was a recovery dir created but left as was. Things went south after that. After failing the internal try it booted; birds but then gets stuck on gtab logo (I left for 45min. to be sure). Then I backtracked and have tried both of Roebeet's images with and without the respective CW images added in. Flashing is fine and I can get into CWmod for both (if I use it) but it just won't go past the gtab logo or it cycles through birds, gtab. I've also downloaded and tried the format.zip Roebeet mentions in the same 1.1/1.2 post. Flashed that and then got a 'magic number mismatch' and then the power would not seem to turn on (screenwise) but APX still worked so I reflashed the 1.1 yet again. I'm still at the same point. I can't seem to get anything to work since I went away from stock. I think the trouble is in the partioning. I did try to format the SDCARD and that was fine but it hangs on 2/0 partition and I can't mount the thing to a PC using CWMOD (1.1 or 1.2) nor can I mount SDCARD2; I get the two most common /dev/...block errors. I'm really stuck. My only saving grace is APK is still working and NVFlashing seems to go fine in every case. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my second tab and the 4349 thing seems to have screwed me. My Tab is very new so maybe there's something 'different' here but it said the usual for revision etc. in stock:
Model UPC300-2.2
Android OS version 2.2
Tap UI Version 1.2-4349
Kernel version 2.6.32.9-00001-g0e0c333-dirty hudson@tapntapsvn #1
Build Number FRF91
HELP!!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I guess at this point you seem to have gone through most of the different things you can try, but let's start at the beginning again....let's see if we can get your tablet to boot into full operation on the stock rom.

1. Since it started with 4349, do an NVFLASH for the 1.2 Bootloader thread that you got from Roe. Just run all the way through that base process and see if your tablet boots up with the stock ROM that is part of that. If you can get that working then we have a place to start.

WhyDidI

Jun 2, 2011
I guess at this point you seem to have gone through most of the different things you can try, but let's start at the beginning again....let's see if we can get your tablet to boot into full operation on the stock rom.

1. Since it started with 4349, do an NVFLASH for the 1.2 Bootloader thread that you got from Roe. Just run all the way through that base process and see if your tablet boots up with the stock ROM that is part of that. If you can get that working then we have a place to start.

Thanks for offering to help. I'm going in circles and don't have enough knowledge about android. I have a hardware engineering background so I have some software knowledge and experience but my linux/android knowledge is somewhat limited. I've since figured out that all the NVFlash etc. has nothing to do with the internal SDCARD. This 'seems' to be where my problem lies..
Did what you said except replaced part9.img with the 1.2 CWMod, v3.0.3.8 (Gtablet 1.2 branch rev.2), As I said I can NVFlash pretty much anything successfully. Here's the output from the NVFlash of Roebeet's 4349 w/CWMod as above
"e:\hwdata\gtablet\4349_NVFlash\NVFlash_CWMod>"nvflash.exe" --bct gtablet.bct --s
etbct --bl bootloader.bin --configfile gtablet.cfg --create --go
Nvflash started
rcm version 0X20001
System Information:
chip name: t20
chip id: 0x20 major: 1 minor: 3
chip sku: 0x8
chip uid: 0x1714404341a12457
macrovision: disabled
hdcp: enabled
sbk burned: false
dk burned: false
boot device: nand
operating mode: 3
device config strap: 0
device config fuse: 0
sdram config strap: 0

sending file: gtablet.bct
- 4080/4080 bytes sent
gtablet.bct sent successfully
downloading bootloader -- load address: 0x108000 entry point: 0x108000
sending file: bootloader.bin
| 941356/941356 bytes sent
bootloader.bin sent successfully
waiting for bootloader to initialize
bootloader downloaded successfully
setting device: 1 0
creating partition: BCT
creating partition: PT
creating partition: EBT
creating partition: MBT
creating partition: BLO
creating partition: MSC
creating partition: OGO
creating partition: SOS
creating partition: LNX
creating partition: APP
creating partition: CAC
Formatting partition 2 BCT please wait.. done!
Formatting partition 3 PT please wait.. done!
Formatting partition 4 EBT please wait.. done!
Formatting partition 5 MBT please wait.. done!
Formatting partition 6 BLO please wait.. done!
Formatting partition 7 MSC please wait.. done!
Formatting partition 8 OGO please wait.. done!
Formatting partition 9 SOS please wait.. done!
Formatting partition 10 LNX please wait.. done!
Formatting partition 11 APP please wait.. done!
Formatting partition 12 CAC please wait.. done!
done!
sending file: part4.img
/ 2097152/2097152 bytes sent
part4.img sent successfully
sending file: part5.img
\ 131072/131072 bytes sent
part5.img sent successfully
sending file: part6.img
/ 4194304/4194304 bytes sent
part6.img sent successfully
sending file: part7.img
/ 16777216/16777216 bytes sent
part7.img sent successfully
sending file: part8.img
/ 33292288/33292288 bytes sent
part8.img sent successfully
sending file: part9.img
\ 4274176/4274176 bytes sent
part9.img sent successfully
sending file: part10.img
/ 16777216/16777216 bytes sent
part10.img sent successfully
sending file: system.img
| 125207808/125207808 bytes sent
system.img sent successfully
Press enter to continue:"
I've installed and been doing 'things' with ADB along the SDCARD route so my errors have changed. Now when I try to mount, format in CW I just get "Error mounting /sdcard". If I try to partition, that remains the same; returns instantly with Done!. I did have it in a state at one point where it really looked like it was partitioning the SDCARD but have unable to reproduce and didn't know what I know now so didn't 'check' anything with ADB. I've also removed my external SD CARD (SD-EXT). I was trying SDPARTED and MKNOD with no luck at changing behaviour but agian I'm not sure I'm doing the right things.
If I go into /dev/block via ADB SHELL, I see mtdblock0 thru 6 and loop0 thru 7 after this recent NVFlash run.
I have a second Gtab that is fine (running Vegan 5.1.1) so I've been doing some low-risk poking with ADB and I see that /dev/block is not what it should be. I had a quick look at dmesg output and I see the following to items that may be of interest:
"<6>[ 6.150049] tegra_nand tegra_nand: Block 0xd25 is bad [chip=0,offset=0x1a4a0000]"
"<6>[ 7.697227] mmc0: new SDIO card at address 0001"
"<3>[ 10.236863] mmc2: error -110 whilst initialising SD card"

I tried to attach dmesg file.

I'm all ears...HELP!!

Attachments

• $dmesg_output.txt
    27.6 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Hi there, it appeared that you know quite well what you were doing. The person that would likely be able and willing to help is Roebeet. Send him an pm at slatedroid.

I am very interested to know how the problem was fixed, and hope that it would be soon for you, unless you already got it.

If you haven't, or not able to get help from Roebeet, and if it is my tablet, I would take a step back and review some fundamentals.

First, you had a 'magic number mismatch' which may have been the result of flashing 1.1 base rom (update.zip) over the stock 1.2 base that came with the tablet. When the tablet hanged at boot with the three birds logo, the tablet became soft bricked. At that point, a simple nvflashing should have brought the tablet back to life.

Then you went on with various fixing techniques, including nvflashing CWMod, v3.0.3.8 (Gtablet 1.2 branch rev.2), and adb'ing different things. The root of the problem was not yet identified, and extra problems were added.

Therefore, I would, again if this is my tablet, try to return it to the original basic image, by following this thread [STICKY][ROM] nvflash FULL restore, using bekit's original image (Instructions) - xda-developers, or post #28 of this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...on-stable-rc1-most-popular-rom-gtablet-3.html and this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=932157

If this does not make sense to you, I'd understand and just ignore it.

Dave,

Last edited:

WhyDidI

Jun 2, 2011
Hi there, it appeared that you know quite well what you were doing. The person that would likely be able and willing to help is Roebeet. Send him an pm at slatedroid.

I am very interested to know how the problem was fixed, and hope that it would be soon for you, unless you already got it.

If you haven't, or not able to get help from Roebeet, and if it is my tablet, I would take a step back and review some fundamentals.

First, you had a 'magic number mismatch' which may have been the result of flashing 1.1 base rom (update.zip) over the stock 1.2 base that came with the tablet. When the tablet hanged at boot with the three birds logo, the tablet became soft bricked. At that point, a simple nvflashing should have brought the tablet back to life.

Then you went on with various fixing techniques, including nvflashing CWMod, v3.0.3.8 (Gtablet 1.2 branch rev.2), and adb'ing different things. The root of the problem was not yet identified, and extra problems were added.

Therefore, I would, again if this is my tablet, try to return it to the original basic image, by following this thread [STICKY][ROM] nvflash FULL restore, using bekit's original image (Instructions) - xda-developers, or post #28 of this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...on-stable-rc1-most-popular-rom-gtablet-3.html and this thread [Solution] How to recover from a 'bricked' gtab! - xda-developers

If this does not make sense to you, I'd understand and just ignore it.

Dave,

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the advice. The Magic happened when I used the Format.zip that Roebeet referred to in the same thread with the two stock images he prepared. This was normal considering I wiped. Each time I've tried one or both of these stock images. I also followed some logic that maybe the partition map is diff. in some tablet's so tried the 46 image as well. I even grabbed the BCT off my good tablet to see and it showed the part6/7 mismatch...although I don't know if I created that with all the flashing :). I've got someone's ear over at slatedroid; hope they are an expert. I haven't had a chance to read their post but saw mention of diff. FLASH or s'thing. I'll take a look now (jroger0707 over there I think or WhyDidI). I think I've tried most of what you posted but will review and try anything new. If you think of anything else or find any other useful post please provide a pointer. cheerz.

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Hi again, hope that the experts at Slatedroid could help.
By the way, looking thru your posts, and unless I am mistaken, you have not tried to do a FULL RESTORE with the original Bekit flash.
[STICKY][ROM] nvflash FULL restore, using bekit's original image (Instructions) - xda-developers
The above made the whole world of difference.

Dave

P.S. During a travel to other neverland's, I found some interesting posts that may relate to this issue:
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/18444-no-birds-no-recovery/page__view__findpost__p__180802
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/18444-no-birds-no-recovery/page__view__findpost__p__181053
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=13474033&postcount=114
Good to know others' experiences.

Last edited:

WhyDidI

Jun 2, 2011
Hi again, hope that the experts at Slatedroid could help.
By the way, looking thru your posts, and unless I am mistaken, you have not tried to do a FULL RESTORE with the original Bekit flash.
[STICKY][ROM] nvflash FULL restore, using bekit's original image (Instructions) - xda-developers
The above made the whole world of difference.

Dave

P.S. During a travel to other neverland's, I found some interesting posts that may relate to this issue:
NO Birds NO recovery - SlateDroid.com
NO Birds NO recovery - SlateDroid.com - Page 2
xda-developers - View Single Post - Tablet will not turn on
Good to know others' experiences.

Actually, that's where I continued once the 3588 and 4349 from Roebeet did not work. I grabbed everything in the drop box as well as the format.zip mentioned further down. The 46 gets me an APX boot loop and the others were pretty much the same, no access to SDCARD and gtab logo loop; although I've done so many flashes now I don't recall the details. I suppose I could try it again. I wasn't sure that the single bootloader.bin file was for; recall reading but don't remember now. Do you know? I'll check out the other links; maybe I haven't seen these already. Thanks again and if you think or see anything; I'm checking regularly.